2019 Waterfowl Reports and Photos

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Aug 25, 2019.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Any body been seeing any blue wingers? Been putting on some miles in NE WI and not seeing many. Went down to the Miss this weekend and nada. Looks pretty bleak on 10. Not much vegetation in the water or along the shoreline for cover. Lots of sloughs running really shallow and silted shut. Got the canoe stuck twice. Which about killed me since I had a pretty good hangover and the mud was bottomless. Didn’t see much for ducks compared to what I would have expected for late August. It might be fun to be down for the opener just to watch people get boats stuck. Finally some people completely trashed the launch. Pretty nice area usually and it was full of fish guts, carcasses, and all sorts of trash. Pretty disappointing when people treat our natural areas that way.

2. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I scouted Killsnake and Collins WMA on the 15th.

Saw a couple two three Hundred mallards. Saw quite a few BWT at least 100 but mostly on private land sheet water with a few on public land pot holes.

As far as geese, saw two fields that were incredible. 3000 in one and another 2000 in a field on the refuge. Plus Another couple two three thousand on private wheat fields.

Not that many doves.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Pretty quiet north of you as well. Plenty of mudrigs running around all summer tho, seems all the youngsters got their trust funds the last couple years.

Fwiw, the new boat launch really suxs. Very limited parking and barely wide enough to spin a truck and trailer around in. Throw in the rip rap shoreline which screws up beaching your boat, it looks like the season could be interesting. Hopefully they throw up some signage saying "If you don't have a trailer, park elsewhere" and a first aid kit for the arse whoopings!

5. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Saw a few honks, even with the late start. Talked to a number of landowners. I’m sure this fall will shake out like the rest of them. We’ll kill birds, and some idiots will continue to wreck it for other people.

marsh man dan likes this.
  6. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I found a bunch of teal and geese on the way to camping last week but kinda far from my normal hunting area

7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Cormorants and pelicans are stacked. Salt and peppa.

8. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

The emoji selection is incomplete....where’s the vomit option?

HEUY likes this.
  9. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

Teal have shown up on some local farm ponds/flooded fields over the last few days. Last night at dusk, scouted a nice wild rice marsh we got on this year. Fair number of mallards and woody's, but didn't see any teal out there. Lots of geese are using a cut oats field in the middle of a subdivision. Wont be hunting that. :(. Got some scouting to do this week, probably going to be a Saturday night decision.

10. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Are you guys sitting on a bunch of flooded fields over there again? Hurt us westsiders early last year. We are finally starting to dry out.