2020-2021 Canada Goose Season

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

What’s the rumor mill from the “people in the know”? We know they started to release the proposed migratory game bird seasons in March so that will not allow for them to gather nesting data from the spring hatch to take into consideration. We also know last springs numbers were up. Is it going to take three years to get back to a 50 day season or since they put us in this structure preemptively and since last years hatch was good will this restrictive season only last this year? I plan to attend the annual meeting just to hear the thoughts. Also would like to hear the speculation on the mallards and sea ducks. I expect further cuts.

I have to say for as warm as it is, there seems to be an average to above average amount of geese around. I can also concur with the less hunting pressure this year, these warm weather geese have been very workable. Probably means a lot of young birds.

2. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

If I had to guess, and this is with zero knowledge, we will be 1 bird next year too just because it seams to take two years for the data to be used.

3. hutty

hutty Elite Refuge Member

Conversations with biologists on both the state and federal level seem to indicate another 2-3 years of 30 and 1 barring mother nature cranking up production in Canada.

4. Jadams8777

Jadams8777 New Member

Average breeding population has to bump back over 150k 3 yr avg to get the 2 bird limit back. Current avg is sitting at 130k which is in the restrictive package.

112k in 2018 and 119k in 2019.

Looking like this could be a 4-5 year process without another crash like last year.

5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I hear there is no timetable...but the two people I know from DNR say at least 5yrs In their opinion. I also hear they are going to make other cuts to Seaducks and Possibly Mallards if the population does not respond as planned

6. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

You're correct on present "protocol" of AP harvest management; on the bright side of the 3 year average, if breeding pairs increase without any further decrease that was experience 2018. The 2018 stats will fall off so if you have above average nesting years on Ugava and if 1 banner year into the 3 year average will rise above the restrictive package sooner than 4-5 years. Mother Nature has to deliver "ice out" and "snow cover" in May when AP's arrive for nesting cycle. In 2018 Ugava was iced and snow covered until the middle/end of June.

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I think some of us hoped that the reduction in limits would at least have a silver lining benefit of thinning out the googans. I'm starting to think it just makes people more desperate to hunt places they shouldn't. I think that the bufflehead limit should follow whatever the mallard limit is. That would certainly thin out the sad pile pics on FB.

Bwana1, MarshmanDon, Allan and 2 others like this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

And guys who are calling themselves “stone cold killers” and are only posting pile pics of buffies and sea ducks. Sad state of affairs we are living in as waterfowlers. Heck, there’s a whole “crew” from Delaware that mean mug a big pile of dippers like they are the duck commanders or something. Heck, I don’t care if you shoot buffies, but stop making duck hunting something it’s not- a status symbol.

joecitrano, Z71 and Smackdown 870 like this.
  9. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

My favorite are the "blahblah crew" stickers on the back of trucks. Does the Bayside Legion have theirs yet?

Scotty likes this.
  10. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member