2020 - 2021 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Duck stamps go on sale tomorrow so no better time than now to start this thread. Most of our wetlands in my area are dried up. Need a good five inch rain at the end of July or August for teal season. The few that do have water have mallards, BWT, shovelers, and redheads on them that I've seen. Appears to have been a good goose hatch in the area as well.

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Very dry in the far western part of the state. Definitely the driest it's been since 2012, but still not even close to as dry as it was that year. Pastures are still holding on from good subsoil moisture from last year and slightly above average precip in May. It feels like the dog days of summer like it is August, but summer has just begun. Unless the pattern somehow changes we are in for a long, hot and dry summer.

Huskermut likes this.
  3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

The east side of the state isn't much better. We have had 11.5" of precip ytd. 5 year average ytd today is 21". Gonna need a couple 5"ers to fill the potholes come August.

4. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

I must be in a pocket of good habitat cause there is good water conditions here. Lots of mallards, woodie, teal and of course canadas that were born here. Looks like our marsh is in good shape. Down a little bit from last year but looking good. Some of the other marshes in the area are loosing water steadily. Hope certain people have learned that breaking the hard pan of the marsh with a tractor and disk has long term effects on a marshes abilities to hold water! :dohSome of those disked marshes are dry while others in the same area and never disked still hold water! Let's hope for some more rain!

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Praying for rain! Been really dry around our parts as well.

Do you know if there is anywhere on the web where Nebraska Game & Parks posts waterfowl habitat information or survey / count information? Combed through the web as much as I could, but could only easily find information on federal lands (NWR).

6. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Yes they do but it seems hit or miss each year and they don't really announce it but it will be on their site if they get it done. It is very dry also! It rained a lot of days at my house in July but only two of those days were more than .10. Finished with less than an 1" for the whole month. Seasonal wetlands/ playas are all dry in my area. It has been cooler the last week which has been nice however.

7. Huskermut

Little off topic but the waterfowl guide is out now. The only real change is a drop in the scaup limit from three to one.

8. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez New Member

First Bluewings spotted this week on the Platte River in E. Neb. Won't be too long now.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  9. Ed Camenzind

Ed Camenzind New Member

Four blue wings on our marsh this morning. Eastern Nebraska.

10. Huskermut

Went up to the Sandhills last weekend. Tons of birds including teal and geese. Lots of water too.