2020 - 2021 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jun 25, 2020.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Phenomenal morning for us and the best hunt of the season thus far. Saw a pile of birds, a little over half mallards, tons of gadwall, good numbers of wigeon, pins, and green wings, and a smattering of other species. Most birds took off at LST somewhere else but it was a fairly steady flight until we were done. I think the longest we went without seeing a bird may have been 10-15 minutes. Every 30 minutes or so, huge groups would appear out of no where in the snow and bomb right into the marsh we were hunting. Most everything worked pretty well, but decoys kept getting covered in snow and our open water kept slushing up too, so I think that was hurting us a bit. We started out with no mojos and birds worked good that first half hour but after that they were being picky, so I threw two out and it actually seemed to help. Wigeon and pintails were super skittish and would not work. The one pin I shot though was the lead of a group of 20 mallards that decoyed in so he was the first bird to get shot. We ended up with 6 mallards, 6 gadwall, 3 wigeon, 1 blue wing, 1 redhead, and 1 pintail. Always fun hunting in the snow, and it never seems that cold when the action is good!
    [​IMG]

SEK HUNTER, CJT, Huskermut and 6 others like this.
  2. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

Honkers have started to pile in the last hour here in s.e. Ne. Tomorrow looks to be a good goose opener.

Ramblingman and frankman like this.
  3. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

Ya'll open on Mondays? That's cool. I wish we did that down here! Good luck tomorrow B-B!

4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

It is different this year than the last few years if I remember right. Duck opener for the "southern" zones was normally a weekday opener and then it closed on a Sunday in late January and goose in those "southern" zones opened a couple days later and also closed on a Sunday in early February. Not sure why the flip flop this year with the opener and closer. I know a lot of people don't like multiple zones and they use the excuse of it's confusing but I think it is a must in a state like this where things are so different north to south.

Huskermut and brentbullets like this.
  5. DGL

DGL Refuge Member

Teal and mallards in dekes before light. Slowing down now. No wind!!! My spread keeps icing over. BUT I shot a banded canvasback!!!

6. DGL

DGL Refuge Member

Geese of all kinds heading south by the thousands. Haven’t seen any high flying ducks. I’ve added a blue wing and a mallard to the bag since the last update. Have to keep opening the hole every 15 min LOL! Keep em coming!!

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  7. Huntges11

Huntges11 Senior Refuge Member

Our weekend was a tale of two days. Sat was unreal. Haven't seen that many ducks on the river in a lotta years. Finished a 4 man limit in 1 hr 15 mins. Not even time to cook breakfast. Half brown ducks & gwt, & couple mallards. Birds decoyed with total abandon. Migrator ducks poured down river. Many Speck and Snow flocks migrating as well. Sun was completely diff. Killed 6 ducks total, Gwt a gad & mallard. Early saw many migrator ducks, then the ducks just didn't seem interested at all. We'd get a flyby but thats it. Canadas were really active before the snow came in, after not seeing any the day before. Had 3 swans fly over at 20 yds. Man those things are huge! Stayed til 1 or so waiting on new ducks that never came. Still very good Opening weekend for Late Zone.

Backwards bleed likes this.
  8. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

Is the BWT in full plumage?

9. DGL

DGL Refuge Member

Nope just a touch of white near the beak.

I ended up with 4 mallards, the bwt, and the can. Birds were stacked up in any open water I saw on the way home. Geese were flying steady until 11. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many. Group after group every 5-10 min.

10. CJT

CJT Refuge Member

Man that’s awesome! Congrats on the banded Can. Didn’t you say you just started hunting waterfowl?!! Dude you need to buy a lotto ticket! Ha. A pic would be awesome if you got one.

nebgoosehunter and FriedPotatoes like this.