2020....a bust

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Zekeland, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

What is this 'freeze' you speak of? It was 80 degrees and swimming weather at Cape Lookout this week.

2. wetcoastreport

wetcoastreport New Member

On the Pacific Flyway, there's tons of snow geese flying around everywhere. Duck numbers seem good too. Much better than last year.

3. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

Maybe your birds are on their way. This guy posted a migration update and he's not too far north of you saying most ducks they've had in years and best shooting in years - Video link may not work but it's Paul from Birdtail Waterfowl on Facebook and one of his most recent posts

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

He is quite a ways south of me. He operates in the parkland region in SW Manitoba. I am north of there 250 miles or so. We have a few thousand mallards left up here. Most geese and white geese have left.

5. Bows Up

Bows Up Refuge Member

Made it below freezing today and then warming. The wet coast is no lie.

6. swifthunter

swifthunter Refuge Member

This is the driest I've seen it in a long time in southern sask, where I can usually have 10-15 roosts, there's not even a drop of water. A lot of the other sloughs are so shallow now that it didn't take much to freeze them up. It was warm early and the birds stayed north where they had lots of water or flew over and now most waters frozen. Ive shot 1 snow and 2 ducks this year. I'm hoping with the warm up coming that some snows stick around and I can actually get a couple of shoots in as what birds are still here are in huge bunches.

7. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

All the birds must be in the parkland. They are definitely not on the prairies in the SW.

Im sure things have changed dramatically for him this weekend. 3-4 nights at -15 to -20

Going for a look in the morning, hopefully some odds and ends still hanging around. Not expecting much.

All of Bang's birds will most likely fly right over when they decide to move south....where there is water it is locked up tight.

8. bang you'r dead

We scouted yesterday and found a few bird, but mother nature had other plans. We were supposed to get about 10cm of snow and that changed to 10-20 inches of snow. I've been pushing snow around my yard for 8 hours today. Not a chance there are any birds left. Some drifts are 4' of snow and driving is not advised off the beaten path. I'm putting away all my hunting stuff tomorrow. Never had a chance to empty my boat out. Covered in a foot or more of snow. At least I got out for a few hunts since I broke my back, and was out of commission all of Sept and first week of October. Got 6 hunts in and posted a few on youtube. Last one of the year was last Sunday. Quit early, as we thought we would be going back there the next day, but I ended up having to work.

mister gadwall and Reelcranky like this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Hey, Hey, Hey........... No mixing metric and imperial measurements.

JRS likes this.
  10. bang you'r dead

Wait till I mix temps with celcius and fahrenburgers.

Curt Gibson likes this.