2020 LA reported turkey harvest

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Out of focus, May 21, 2020.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

If I had a silver bullet I would be a millionaire. I have been having long conversations with biologists here. Weather is a large factor in recruitment. 07 is when we slid downhill and it corresponds with massive flooding we had 2007 to 2010. Then we hit a couple stretches of historic drought and the only thing breaking the drought was flooding. We lost alot of nests last week I am sure. Last year was the lowest recruitment ever recorded in our mail carrier survey. For years hens have been averaging approx .5 poults per hen which obviously isnt a stable popuation.

Predators play a role. There are now corn feeders all over for ditch goats which burgeons the coon population. You can somewhat overcome it with good habitat. It may look like it hasnt changed much but it has. Brome and fescue are taking over nwsg. Woody encroachment into grass. Lack of fire on the landscape as a whole (2.5 million acres burned in the Flint Hills this year so not a problem at my local level).

Humans also are playing an ever larger role. Turkey hunters are much more efficient than they were even 10 years ago. Those birds that used to live cause they hung up at 70 yards are now going home in someone's truck since they had TSS on a shotgun with optics and a pattern tight enough to kill a bird at 80 yards.

I am almost coming to think what we saw in the late 90s early 2000s is an anomoly. Kind of like an invasive species. They take off and multiply rapidly. Predators dont know how to utilize them initially but they figure it out. Thr population plateaus then drops to a new normal with some peaks and valleys either way. To quote our state biologist "I know what the ceiling is, and am just trying to make the floor a little higher."

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Part of the problem is hunters have stigmatized that shooting a Jake is wrong, unsportsmanlike or unmanly for what ever dumb azz reason. It is kind of like deer hunter’s pizz poor mentality of having to shoot bucks only.

Maybe Tennessee should outlaw shooting Toms and allow only taking Jakes for a few years or offer only so many Tags for shooting a Tom like bull elk tags out west.

Most of us will shoot any Drake mallard that shows up in the decoys. Most wont wait for a four curl drake and shoot any green head. Why not shoot a Jake?

Personally I take the first legal turkey.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

After traveling all over the US to turkey hunt, and visiting with folks in those areas who hunt turkeys, I think the "call them in close and shoot them in the face tradition" is primarily held in the areas where turkeys and turkey hunting is a long long tradition among the older turkey hunters. They have passed that on to the next generations. In areas where the turkeys are relatively new to the area , that old school approach is not widely held.

For the late to the party turkey hunters in newer areas and exposure to suburban birds, nuisance turkeys, and back yard turkeys where there is not a Old School hunting tradition it is a meat hunt in many cases; and method of take is irrelevant as long as you can post picture on the internet or FB and take something home to eat...better yet video the the crawl and kill on U tube and be a media star.

As a friend of mine said last week , once turkeys began walking through town and living in peoples back yards in the suburbs, and once deer hunters figured out turkey were not mythical creatures killed by only the super elite woodsman, hunters and callers, but could be killed by non traditional methods by "anybody" with the latest gimmicks and gun set ups, well, the game was over. For many of the old traditional guys the might be right.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    Luigi Daniele likes this.
  4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I am growing to agree with you.
    1. Jakes stand near zero chance of impregnating a hen (see data)
    2. More tender/tasty

Now sure, I can get a trophy, I obviously take it.

SB2MAG likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, but this is a monarchy and peasants don't hunt.

mister gadwall likes this.
  6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

If it pleases the crown, may the peasants have the gizzards and liver from the kings hunt?

7. bill cooksey

Neck, Friar's nose and legs for the likes of you.

stevena198301 and Luigi Daniele like this.
  8. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Beggars can’t be choosers

Lol

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Turkey leg BBQ in the slow cooker ain’t bad eats. Keep all them jiggly bits and necks for the dogs.

10. bill cooksey

I'm benevolent. The poor developed low and slow cooking.

JuvieCoot and stevena198301 like this.