2020 Merc 60 HP TIller

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by maxx, Jun 1, 2021.

1. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

They removed the collar that allows you to adjust the friction on the motor. I have been told there isn't a way to do this you are just stuck with how the motor is.

My motor is so loose. If you are going in idle and you take your hand off the motor it turns. If you are going full out you have to muscle the hell out of the motor.

Any fix to this? As of last summer when I got the motor there wasn't.

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Did you adjust the trim tab above the prop? That should help when you're moving fast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    JFG likes this.
  3. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

No I haven't but I need to do that for sure. The fast doesn't bother me as much as the slow but I do need to do that.

4. darkvibe

My trim tab is adjusted as far right as it would go. Tracks pretty straight now. I honestly couldn't even tell you how my steering tension is adjusted. I've never touched the lever.

5. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

Sounds good I will give it a go.

Do you just pick a side and go with trial and error?

6. darkvibe

RH prop so you'll want to go to the right with the trailing edge of the tab. It had some way of indexing so if I remember right you only have like 3 possible positions between straight and all the way over to the right.

My motor is a command thrust so I have a different lower unit than you. I don't know if you'll end up all the way over or not.

7. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

Are saying the manufacture does not provide one or the dealer did not provide a co-captain, who is they who removed the collar, not having a co-captain is a great way of rolling your boat.

My 1997 40HP Mercury tiller came with two co-captain sets, call Mercury customer service or a Mercury dealer that knows what they are doing, its nothing to mess around with, do not run this boat without it, you are putting your and anyone near you lives at risk.

A 20 HP tore itself off the transom (Clamp on only) and just ran the prop at face level for a moment before dropping into Little Bay De Noc one time, I held the motor and did not flip the boat, it happened in less than a second and it sucked big time.

Get your motor S/N and go here for parts, if it comes with one it should show it.

https://public-mercurymarine.sysonl...est&NA_KEY=NA_KEY_VALUE&langIF=eng&langDB=eng

8. darkvibe

I don't know what a co-captain is but the merc site does show the steering friction parts on the newest serial numbered 60HP EFIs for both the big tiller and regular handle.

[​IMG]

Damian Wiening likes this.
  9. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

I bought the boat and motor new last year. The dealer told me they don't have a friction collar. I called the factory to see if I get a better answer and they gave me the same answer. When I say they I meant Mercury.

I have the big tiller handle.

darkvibe likes this.
  10. kruschpa

kruschpa New Member

I bought this one new in March 2021
    60 Command Thrust Tiller
    Red handle in circle is friction adjustment
    upload_2021-6-1_15-2-22.jpeg

Damian Wiening likes this.