2020 Merc 60 HP TIller

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by maxx, Jun 1, 2021.

1. da grouch

da grouch Senior Refuge Member

I concur this outboard is missing the pieces. Question becomes, where did it go? why is it missing? I'm not an investigator but my arm is tired thinking about this missing :l

2. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

Yes I bought the boat and motor new from the dealer.

3. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

I talked to the dealer.

If you go up on that tree you get the first big Tiller Handle Kit (Big Tiller-Manual) It doesn't show anything. He said its not suppose to have it.

Then you go down two on the tree to Tiller Handle Kit Components (Big Tiller-Manual) and it shows it. Going off the first drawing he says its not included but I think the second one breaks down the handle to more components and I think I am suppose to have it.

I am kind of getting more mad as this goes on based on how they handled this, not to mention the fact that my boat is dangerous without it. Thankfully I don't run fast much we use it mostly on marshes and rivers.

Damian Wiening likes this.
  4. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

It does not matter how fast you run the boat, one slip and you can be running fast and sideways, you do not want to go through that, trust me on this, I lived through making a mistake of running a small 14ft boat with 20 HP Mercury on it, the motor tore itself off in the blink of an eye.

It sounds like the dealer is not wanting the expense of installing it after he missed it on the install, can you trust a dealer that sells a package like this. Pay him to have it installed or do it yourself, you should be very mad at him and possibly speaking to someone higher up at Mercury about his and their customer service.

It is the dealers responsibility to provide you with a safe boat package, from your words they did not.

5. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

I was in a dealership this morning.
    They have a 2020 Mercury 15hp.
    It has it. So why your 60hp doesn’t…………?
    A6B7B4C7-2046-45C1-A966-4EAFDD2DECA6.jpeg 7DF9FD58-42A2-447A-935E-618C2ABB0F3E.jpeg 5B6534BF-F693-4240-B89B-2C52AAEFE02D.jpeg

6. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

I called back after the last post.

He was on the phone with Merc tech support and he agreed it got missed and should have been on the motor. He is working on getting parts and then they are going to get it installed!

Thanks for the help. It wasn't the service guys fault that it didn't get done correctly in the first place but I let him know that I wasn't happy with how it went down and that I had to figure it out on my own.

darkvibe likes this.
  7. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

:tu

That seems odd something like that would be "missed"!

I'd hate to use a motor that heavy with no steering tensioner.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

Fortunately I am a pretty big strong dude but ya it sucked at times!

9. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Glad you're getting that fixed.

Last summer I locked mine down tight to hold the motor still on a two hour drive including some rough roads. That was a mistake - bent the snot out of the friction plate so I had to take it off to run ----yikes! did not care for that! Got it replaced ASAP - fortunately its not too expensive.

10. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

Got the boat back. I was able to get them to throw in a fluid change out for screwing this up.

It will be interesting to see how this runs now that I have the right parts.