2020 season

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by timbutcher, Aug 28, 2019.

1. timbutcher

timbutcher Senior Refuge Member

Well Az. Crew!

It’s almost time for a warmup dove hunt to start the wing shooting season off.

Who is going to head out this weekend?

2. Colin Shepherd

Colin Shepherd New Member

3. Colin Shepherd

Didn't make it to the opener this year, but managed to sneak in a quick limit during a quail scouting trip. First time I was able to get the majority of the doves to actually decoy into the mojos on the ground - ditched the stakes and just put the Mojo Mini Drakes right on the dirk berm, worked like a charm.

4. timbutcher

Nice shoot Colin.

This year has had a sad start. I lost my long time hunting partner. My chocolate lab Colorado passed away.
    She had the best nose I have ever seen.

On good note we are picking up a yellow boy on October 15th. I can wait to start the training process again.

I will post some picture of the new pup when I get him.

5. Colin Shepherd

Can't wait to see pictures of the new pup, thats always the most exciting aspect of hunting for me. On the other hand, very sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't know if I posted it here, but I got a little black lab puppy back in June, and she is growing up quite fast! 5 months old and already 55 lbs.... Working on her training, but this is the 1st time i've gotten my hands on a "real" hunting dog and there is quite the difference. I've been using CornerStone Gun Dog program and its been working out alright, with the exception my pup is about 95% Seal and 5% dog.
    Early Dove Season - Birdies 1st hunt 02 09.12.19.jpg Early Dove Season - Birdies 1st Hunt 09.12.19.jpg Early Dove Season - Birdies 2nd Hunt 09.15.19.jpg
    I took her out this past weekend for her 1st hunt and she was awesome! It was just doves, which is drastically different than ducks, but nonetheless she was a champ. Only retrieved 10 birds to hand for the evening but she was making progress on staying steady and marking birds that fell behind the berm out there. 45 minutes, 100 shells, 2 shooters, 28 birds and two happy dogs later.

6. timbutcher

Super, I love that stage of training.
    I will need to dust up my training skills and what program are you using?

7. Colin Shepherd

CornerStone Gun Dog Academy. It’s all online. It’s done by Barton Ramsey (might have misspelled that) from Southern Oak Kennel. It’s a tad bit on the expensive side but it was purchased back at 2/3 of the cost as today.

I’m rather happy with it. I’m truly a 1st timer to training a “gun dog” so the basics and learning how dogs learn was really helpful for me. I’m guessing you might be past that part .

My wife won’t let me get an e-collar for the dogs and this program is on the same page there. It’s been working out well.

8. timbutcher

Anybody have any luck up north?

9. Colin Shepherd

Went up with my buddies for the annual Mountain Opener and had a blast. There are 9 of us so we split into (3) separate blinds about 1/2 mile apart and everyone managed to shoot their limit by 8:00. Picture below is from my respective blind. It was fast and furious shooting that embarrassingly took me 31 shells for my 7 ducks. It was mostly a teal & brown-duck beat down but also included Pintails, Redheads, and some bonus honkers. 30 mph winds kicked my butt on the boat ride back and ended up having to walk the boat 1.5 miles - all worth it for a beautiful morning! A2AC2086-6CB0-44B6-83BE-DF9FEBE94FE2.jpeg

10. timbutcher

Right on way to start the season!