2020 season .

Discussion in 'Iowa Flyway Forum' started by nobands, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

Plenty of birds still around the DSM area. We had 300ish in the field we hunted yesterday, but they wanted to eat on the opposite side of the field. We'll adjust accordingly on the next hunt. I also know they're still killing a lot of birds around Ankeny, but I'm not sure if those birds ever leave.
    We'll give it another shot on Wednesday, then finish out on Saturday. Good luck to you all!

2. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

We'll give it another shot on Wednesday, then finish out on Saturday. Good luck to you all![/QUOTE]

why are you quitting on Sat? you have another week in the South zone. the North zone closes this Sat

nobands likes this.
  3. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

0E08CDF0-A01E-47F4-BEBD-7B6149684F94.jpeg D9C24CBC-F90E-440D-A297-3F0CD1946158.jpeg 68521BA1-2BE8-4895-819D-C8C4081EB9D3.jpeg B3A8621C-54FC-4BB7-A71F-5F25AFFC6465.jpeg E151E7AB-6CC1-4834-9013-7125AE308664.jpeg Couple pics from the trip south to MO. can also find these in the photography forum (figured it wouldn’t get much traffic there).

Reelcranky, Jawbreaker and Rolen_Zen like this.
  4. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I misread the dates.

IowaWaterfowler10...great pics, looks like it was a fun trip.

IowaWaterfowler10 likes this.
  5. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

Ya don't get me wrong, we still have geese .
    As near as I can tell one roost completely booked , the other lost easily 2/3rds haven't checked the other yet ,that usually has some holdouts
    Those birds have been hitting a feild that can't be hunted for a month straight.
    I know the guy that farms it, says even though it was combined there is around 70 to 80 bushels per acre laying out there.
    I just quit watching those..
    I'll see what the week and the weather bring.

6. nobands

Nice pictures Iowawaterfowler10..

7. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

[QUOTE="nobands,
    Those birds have been hitting a feild that can't be hunted for a month straight.
    I know the guy that farms it, says even though it was combined there is around 70 to 80 bushels per acre laying out there.
    I just quit watching those..
    I'll see what the week and the weather bring.[/QUOTE]

NB, even though there is a lot of corn on the ground, if that field WAS combined, then it is huntable. the only baited fields are the ones where they just rolled the whole crop down and disced down. that is not "normal" practice.

ask the local CO and make sure and tell him that it was combined. and then invite him to go hunt it with you and the boys

8. nobands

Oh I know GetDuck, its a different reason it can't be hunted.
    We have had to give up on some birds earlier several times that were in rolled/ mowed fields.
    That stuff seemed to loose its appeal as season went on , the rolled germinated and was all but usless to birds later.
    With the amount of Derecho damage here we've been very careful about where we hunt .
    We knew from the beginning what fields were legally harvested a what wasn't. .
    I pointed that out as a example of how much food is in in some of those. It was picked with a wheel .
    Guy custom farms it and said watching ears come up was like watching bingo balls. Went from 200 -210 to a 130 bpa field.

9. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

If the dnr hadnt put out the press release about the derecho fields i wouldnt be hunting anywhere due to the distance/area of influence part of the baiting laws. But the press release specifically says if the field was combined you can hunt. Imo they shouldve either shut the whole county down or made all fields legal to hunt. When every field is chock full of corn youre not gaining any advantage in a destroyed field vs a combined field with 80 bpa laying on the ground.

Iowawaterfowler10, that dog pic with the green head is awesome.

10. nobands

Well my test came back negative , still gotta quarantine till Friday. Now I'm going to be extremely bored.