2021-2022 Waterfowl Reports

Huskermut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's Federal Duck Stamp week once again, which means the unofficial start to the next duck season.

In my area, we got some good rains that filled up wetlands in May but they are starting to dry up pretty quick. In the ones with water though, there are pintail, mallard, gadwall, wigeon, teal, and shovelers. I've only seen a few ducklings however.

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here's what we do to help get thru the withdrawls and dog days of summer in my neck of the woods this time of the year. We volunteer with the DNR and
IMG_2775[1].JPG
banded 300 new birds today and had almost 100 recaptures. The end of june is a big for banding honkers all around WI.

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here's what we do to help get thru the withdrawls and dog days of summer in my neck of the woods this time of the year. We volunteer with the DNR and View attachment 298296 banded 300 new birds today and had almost 100 recaptures. The end of june is a big for banding honkers all around WI.
do you leave the old band on or update your info and take it off and put on a new one?

Huskermut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Here's what we do to help get thru the withdrawls and dog days of summer in my neck of the woods this time of the year. We volunteer with the DNR and View attachment 298296 banded 300 new birds today and had almost 100 recaptures. The end of june is a big for banding honkers all around WI.
That's awesome!

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
do you leave the old band on or update your info and take it off and put on a new one?

The old bands stay on. They record the number and date of recapture and it gets reported to the bird banding lab for tracking etc...

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This is the first year but there are new bands going on some but not all newly banded birds that are cerakoted in black. We were told it is a trial to see if the survival rate is any better on birds that can not be ID'ed by hunters as having bands on to eliminate targeting them. Just what we were told. They are definitely harder to see. Sorry for the poor pic. Had to take a screen capture as all I had was a video of them installing the cerakoted band.
IMG_2784[1].PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2784[1].PNG
    IMG_2784[1].PNG
    4.7 MB · Views: 56

pluffmud

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you marry someone and get yourself a wife, you won't have time to worry about duck depression. Summers will be busy spent doing what the wife wants to do, and it will fly by. Next thing you know, it's hunting season, and she won't be able to say a thing because you can pull all of these, "remember this past summer when we _______________." Unless you get a stubborn one and she threatens you with divorce, and you have to sell all your decoys to afford to eat. That's the only flaw in the plan... Just make sure you don't get a stubborn one.