2021-2022 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez Refuge Member

As an avid bird watcher on radar (not Birdcast), I have noticed that minus a few trickles coming through the Central and Eastern half of the states maybe 3-4 times, the brunt of the migration has been passing through an area between Council Bluffs and Des Moines heading SSE.

Jon-Barta, nebgoosehunter and ajj16 like this.
  2. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

Yesterday was a good push of canadas in our neck of the woods. Nothing we saw had any intentions on stopping at least for a few counties, maybe the state lol. Saw waves of canadas pretty good from 8:30-11, but no flocks of ducks migrating really maybe 2 all morning. Didn't get to pull the trigger, had to leave by 11:45, of course packing crap up and there pops out a low flock of canadas looking to get down, never fails....anyways, hoping Thanksgiving morning is good, conditions look good as of now, then the mild weather creeps back in...

3. DGL

DGL Refuge Member

Hunted eastern NE Saturday. Scouted the spot the day before and saw a bunch of birds sitting in a place they likely wouldn’t have been had they been hunted there. Felt like they probably showed up mid week. Saturday morning I blew a decent flock of snow geese, maybe a hundred ducks, and a small flock of canadas off the water on the walk in. Action was fast for the first half hour with plenty of mallards to go around. We had zero wind and they weren’t doing it right. Not a huge fan of passing shots but probably could’ve knocked down a couple that way. Then about 10 o’clock they started coming back in again but since I was hunting with my young cousins, we were already packing up. Ended that day with 2 gwt and a bonus rooster on the walk out. Yesterday we hunted my buddy’s spot on the river somewhere between north platte and Kearney and shot 2 mallards on an all day hunt. Had a couple try to land on me while I was out setting up!! The ducks flew for about an hour but only saw 1 flock of geese flying all day. Numbers of geese and ducks (to a lesser degree) appear to be building somewhat. We saw several ponds along the interstate with huntable numbers of birds.

4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I know it's way out in fantasy land but the GFS model has a major storm in the December 6th time frame with major snow across most of SD and into SE ND and also here in far northwest Nebraska. That far out in the model, things will surely change, but one can always hope!

Huntges11, 20gaSprig, ajj16 and 2 others like this.
  5. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Please let this happen.

DGL and waterfowler6963 like this.
  6. ajj16

:pra:pra:pra

waterfowler6963 and Huskermut like this.
  7. ajj16

Loess Bluffs NWR
    November 22, 2021 Waterfowl Survey:

Amount of Wetlands Flooded: 3,600
    Habitat Conditions: Good
    Percent Wetlands Frozen: 0

Greater White-fronted Goose: 38,101
    Snow Goose: 28,750
    Ross's Goose: Present
    Canada Goose: 1,066
    Trumpeter Swan: 1,066
    Tundra Swan: 8

Wood Duck: 5
    Gadwall: 10,515
    American Wigeon: 35
    Mallard: 60,705
    Northern Shoveler: 7,420
    Northern Pintail: 12,500
    Green-winged teal: 3,325
    Canvasback: 1
    Redhead: 15
    Ring-necked duck: 12,300
    Bufflehead: 50
    Hooded Merganser: 57
    Ruddy Duck: 35
    Pied-billed Grebe: 9
    American Coot: 2,190

Total Geese: 67,917
    Dabblers: 94,505
    Divers: 12,458
    Total Ducks: 106,963

waterfowler6963 likes this.
  8. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

AJJ how can that be all the ducks are still in SD and ND!!!!! now for the report in are neck of the woods Sat. pulled are first goose egg of the year a guy can only go up from there and we did Sun. nice little push of new birds and we shot 11 greenheads and three geese that worked us good! Not a limit but it was a good day to be a waterfowl hunter with good friends!

Huntges11, nebgoosehunter and ajj16 like this.
  9. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

We are back "home" visiting the in laws and my folks this weekend so I thought I would try and get a goose hunt in with my dad tomorrow. Got turned down on two big time X's but finally got permission on a field directly between one of the roosts and one of the feeds. That feed was holding several thousand darks and a handful of snows. Hopefully they take the same flight line in the morning and we are under them. I have an older buddy that scouted and found 10,000 mallards tonight between their roost and the cornfield they were feeding in. I was limited on gear I could bring so I didn't have any spinners or duck decoys for the field hunt and I definitely did not want to hunt the roost so they are going to get a pass tomorrow. If the wind is blowing at first light in the morning I think we'll do decent on the geese. Should still be fun regardless!

10. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

F218EC2C-B0D1-492B-9EA3-E78E9538C6AD.jpeg Somewhere in Kansas

Reelcranky, DGL, nobands and 3 others like this.