2021-2022 Waterfowl Reports

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dad and I had a great morning! Great to get on some geese with him. All lessers, didn't even really see any big geese. Picked up the snow goose decoys and then had a group of a dozen snows fly past real low, go figure. Fun time hunting my old stomping grounds!
evBjp6Xh.jpg

ajj16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sand Lake NWR report: 11/24/21

Sand Lake's influx of snow geese has decreased substantially from the last report. It is estimated between 3000 - 6000 snow geese are currently using the Refuge and surrounding crop fields. In addition, there are roughly 500 Canada geese still in the area. Duck numbers have also decreased significantly over the past week, but there are still fair numbers of Bald Eagles in the area.

o_O

Huntges11

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Only hunted Sat & Sun over the weekend due to the family Thanksgiving and am glad I didn't hunt more. We killed 5 malls Sat and that was because we dropped 4 out of one flock otherwise we're looking at a one duck day. Which actually happened on Sun. One drake is all we managed. And the geese are in stale mode already. Can barely get a look. Had one single lock up only to change his mind and fly downriver. Had one pair do the same, just ah no thanks. Historically we should be building numbers up on our gravel pit roosts near the river. I would say we have numbers more like just an average push day. Not near what we should have. Do we have more ducks & geese than we did a week and a half ago, yes. I will say I finally saw spoon, widgeon and gads last weekend but they were on a protected metro area lake LOL! The weather this week is NOT going to help us at all.

Keith S.

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted public in SE NE Friday. Saw a few birds moving around early in the am, had a flock of 100 work and work, but our little hole in the ice wasn't big enough I think. The flock slowly got smaller and smaller and we did get a couple when they flew over us at 25 yards. Sat the rest of the day. Was a tough day, watched a lot of the football game on my phone, really glad I didn't get into that! The last 30 minutes of the day proved to be well worth it. Had tons of birds, maybe thousands of birds flying around, by then our ice had all melted. We still couldn't get big groups to finish. Finally got into a flock of GWT then a flock of mallards right when the alarm went off. Picking up we had quite the show. Glad we stuck it out! This weather the next 10 days looks like I should be doing yard work. I predict the middle of December we will get the weather everyone thinks they want, I'll be in Florida at Disney so it's bound to happen!

ajj16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This forecast sucks.... :flame:mad:

(I know I will be using this warm up wisely, acting like I'm not bothered by doing what my wife wants to do in the middle of hunting season, but really I don't care b/c hunting will most likely suck, and in turn buying brownie points for when hunting season acts like hunting season again...) lol

20gaSprig

Refuge Member
Reaction score
This forecast sucks.... :flame:mad:

(I know I will be using this warm up wisely, acting like I'm not bothered by doing what my wife wants to do in the middle of hunting season, but really I don't care b/c hunting will most likely suck, and in turn buying brownie points for when hunting season acts like hunting season again...) lol

That's my plan exactly...

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That storm the models were showing awhile back for the December 7th time frame went away on the models pretty much the next day after I posted it. However, there is a storm again looking increasingly likely for the same time again next Tuesday the 7th. Nothing huge, but a chance of precip at least out west here. Both the Euro and GFS are showing some snow along the Montana and Canada border this weekend. One model showing up to a foot and the other a few inches. Might be enough to kick a few more geese down this way, unless amounts somehow get to the higher side.

Latest posts