Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HMMMM, Snow and cold up north?

brentbullets

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get too exited about this as what birds are left, ducks, are still north of there. I won’t be hunting Monday or Tuesday but am going to try to get out this weekend.

Was in SD this week, Britton, Aberdeen, Webster areas and everything was frozen. Did see some snows north of Huron but really didn’t see any birds at all.

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Fun morning hunting a shallow wetland with a buddy. Felt very weird hunting it in early December but had to take advantage of some mallards in the area. There were two big roosts southwest and southeast of us about a mile and half with our wetland having thin sheet ice across the whole thing. We broke open a nice hole but it didn't take long to freeze back up. We had three greenheads and a hen land in the decoys two minutes before LST but they flew away with about 30 seconds remaining. Had one nice group decoy perfect that we each took a greenhead out of. Didn't take much longer and had another nice group decoy perfect and we each took a greenhead again. That group bunched up right after the shot leading to not many greenheads being in the clear. We saw quite a few birds after sunrise, but we were out of their flight line by a half mile. We had to wait until about 9:00 to even see another duck give us a look. A single bombed in from way up high while I was calling at some snows overhead. He gave us two good passes around 20 yards right over the decoys but we thought he would slow up and backpedal and present an easier shot on his third swing. He took off after two swings so we did not get a shot at him. Picked up at 11:00 but it was a great morning. Any morning decoying groups of mallards feet down is a great morning!

Huskermut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We got new geese in the area. Heading home as the front rolled in and there were lots of lessers and bigs flying low and heading to corn. Mallards started moving more too in the afternoon. Could've been new birds as well.

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Saw more teal than the whole season up to this point this morning. Couple big flocks of gadwalls too. Finished with 9 mallards and 3 gadwalls.
05050F90-9D77-4A7A-9033-7A13701489F6.jpeg
Saw 2 canadas. :scratch :doh

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice hunt! Your boy is getting old! I remember pics on some old forum (Nebraska Outdoors Forum possibly) from snow goose hunts when he was probably 10 or so.

I took Friday off to hunt in the snow. Sounds like there are new birds around so I am hopeful for a fun snow hunt!

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice hunt! Your boy is getting old! I remember pics on some old forum (Nebraska Outdoors Forum possibly) from snow goose hunts when he was probably 10 or so.

I took Friday off to hunt in the snow. Sounds like there are new birds around so I am hopeful for a fun snow hunt!
he just turned 26. Has 2 kids of his own.
C993FFE9-5B0F-401D-AE11-1ADDE55D9D5B.jpeg
926601B4-98DE-4A07-ABF3-CE9E3BDD5BE5.jpeg

Loupriverhunter

Reaction score
Only a few birds killed from our blind this year, been pretty disappointing to say the least. Thinking about hunting in the snow this Friday just for the hell of it, not sure it will be worth it but starting to worry there might not be any weather that shakes them loose from up north.