2021-2022 Waterfowl Reports

Huskermut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted all day Saturday for ducks and got skunked. Good wind but very few ducks around. Tried field hunting geese the next day and another skunk. Lots of geese (snows, lessers, bigs, and a few specks) around but warm temps and little wind made it tough. Hoping the forecast up north finally gets some new ducks and geese down in the next few weeks.

ajj16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A buddy and I took a trip to the sandhills this weekend. Usually the first spot we went to has a little more geese by now, hoping the snow woulda pushed some down to us, shot some but no crazy hot action. Shot 5 w/ 2 green heads Friday. Saturday morning had one good flock come in and did it perfect, we were able to do some damage on that flock, not much else the rest of the morning (another buddy drove out and joined us) ended w/ 10 honkers and 1 greenhead.

Had a fun pucker factor moment on Saturday as we were scrambling to pick up the geese in the current, I told my buddy to run and get the kayak, I went running down the sandbar, thought I was plenty good and boy was I wrong when I found the edge and went up to my hips in water... :eek: lol but we managed to grab all the honkers and no one got wet.

Switched spots Sunday and was more of a duck area. Numbers still not what they should be and the weather man really sucks for calling the wind (supposed to be SSW according to them) was just about everything but that, mainly east, and SE most of the morning. Ducks worked weird but were able to get a 3 man (mallards) and make it back before my wife was completely pissed...;)

(took advantage of my brownie points...problem is I think my bank is empty now lol)

DGL

Refuge Member
Reaction score
79AD4B6C-9F91-4BE0-A9BC-8FAB41DC09C2.jpeg
Nice little mixed bag this morning. The snow geese migration was on again today. Saw only a handful of ducks, and I shot the only one that decoyed. Felt good to call in and decoy the Canada, first one I’ve taken on my own!

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My buddy got permission on a small pond for us tomorrow. I figured it would be froze over and we would have to bust out the chainsaw and cut a hole in the ice but he just scouted it and the water was open and there was a good amount of geese up on the bank. It's supposed to be 7 degrees for a low tonight so the birds should keep a hole open but I am not anticipating them flying until mid morning at the earliest. Hoping we can set a nice spread on the ice/water and get a few mallards before everything starts flying.

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My buddy got permission on a small pond for us tomorrow. I figured it would be froze over and we would have to bust out the chainsaw and cut a hole in the ice but he just scouted it and the water was open and there was a good amount of geese up on the bank. It's supposed to be 7 degrees for a low tonight so the birds should keep a hole open but I am not anticipating them flying until mid morning at the earliest. Hoping we can set a nice spread on the ice/water and get a few mallards before everything starts flying.
bustin’ the roost….:eek: :reader :D

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yep haha, wouldn't typically do it. Usually will only bust a roost if it's the last weekend of the season, even then I don't really have any spots that are strong roosts. My buddy couldn't get permission on it this season because the landowner said he leased it out. He called him this week and told him he could hunt it this weekend and that nobody has hunted it yet this year. There are numerous other roosts in the area anyway and it's going to lock up tight tonight I suspect.

orangelegs73

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So where’s the follow-up story??

Reactions: DGL

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Laugh it up haha.:l Our internet was down at my house all weekend and I hate typing reports on my phone so I figured I'd wait until I got to work this morning. It was three degrees Saturday morning and it took quite awhile to figure out where to set up and actually set up. There were no ducks roosted there and not very many geese so we didn't bust it too bad really. Most geese roosted to our east a mile. We found some thinner ice to bust a hole in and set up four goose floaters and a dozen duck floaters and then had a dozen goose shells, a dozen duck full bodies, and some goose full bodies on the ice, and then another 60 goose full bodies up on the bank. Spread looked great! A few hundred ducks showed up at shooting light while we were still in the middle of setting up. They looked like they wanted in but they went and sat on the neighbors property. We had four greenheads down in the first couple hours and missed out on some other chances on mallards and we botched a flock of greenwings. Geese finally started moving mid morning but they all went to the same field. Late morning there was another goose flight and we finally had a few chances and decoyed some small bunches. Picked up at noon and finished with seven geese and the four mallards. Still a great morning. I took my three boys out to a creek for some ducks yesterday afternoon but it was froze up surprisingly. Busted a hole in the creek and put out a few duck decoys and ended up just shooting one goose that decoyed in. The boys still had a great time!

Keith S.

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was really hoping to see some good reports while I was in sunny Florida. One buddy sank a boat on the Missouri, didn't see squat on the river after that fiasco then shot a 5 min out of a field that afternoon. Another set up on the Elkhorn, saw 3 ducks and thousands of canadas only to get flown over at 100 yards. Another buddy hunting around Omaha, says he has lots of geese in his area, but they are tough. I'm hoping to get out a couple times in the next week.

Reactions: DGL