2021 Potential Zone Changes

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by 1duckmaster, Oct 1, 2019.

What is your preference?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2019.
  1. Leave as is? No change

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. 3-zones, but north line is move to hwy 64

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. 3 zones or U zone. Hwy 10 north and Hwy 18 south

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3 zones or U zone. Hwy 64 north and Hwy 18 south

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. 4 zone North south Hwy 10 and MRZ and Lake Michigan Zone

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 4 zone North south Hwy 64 and MRZ and Lake Michigan Zone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 3 zone Hwy 10 north/south and a Lake Michigan Zone

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  8. 3 zone Hwy 64 north/south and a Lake Michigan Zone

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  9. 3 zone north, south, east west. Hwy 10 north, Hwy 39 east/west

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. 3 zone north, south, east west. Hwy 64 north, Hwy 39 east/west

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Can-Can-vasback

Can-Can-vasback New Member

What about the other zone options?

2. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

If that’s the case wouldn’t it make sense to make the zone smaller by moving the line farther north if less than 5% of the harvest comes from that area?
    I’ve argued for over a decade that the current zones creates large refuges with all the rivers and flowages that remain open we’ll after the season is closed in the north zone.

North zone Hwy 8 and north.

Central zone Hwy 21 to 8

South zone Hwy 21 to the WI/IL line and would include the River and Lake MI.

lax likes this.
  3. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would agree with Ruff.

Only change would be to include Mississippi and Lake MI in the south zone, my understanding is that since they all "touch" we they can be connected.

lax likes this.
  4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Similar to the data on the Miss from end of October and the first two weeks of November.

What dates would you propose if the MZ was thrown out, and the SZ was all encompassing both with the MZ and LZ areas covered like Ruff mentions?

5. Can-Can-vasback

Can-Can-vasback New Member

I would like to see 3 zones. A north zone with highway 21 as the line, and Winnebago falling into the central zone.
    North zone: Sept 26th-Nov 29th, Split Sept 28th to Oct 2nd

Central zone highway 21, including Mississippi River
    Central zone: Oct 3rd-Dec 6th, Split Oct 12th to 16th

South Zone, including Lake Michigan.
    Oct 3rd to Dec 13th, Split Oct 12th to 23rd.

South guys have to give up a 12 day split to get later in the season, as they want. However, highway 60 is about a 1.5 hour drive north from most "southernmost" parts of the state (beloit, pleasant prairie, etc). This gives the Lake Michigan group until Middle December, and creates 74 huntable days in WI.

Matthew and marsh man dan like this.
  6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

It makes no sense to include Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River in the same zone.

The duck number on the Mississippi wains considerably as December approaches where as the duck numbers increases on Lake Michigan as December 1st approaches.

Have the North zone Hwy 10, South zone includes the Mississippi River and a Lake Michigan zone that opens around October 15th and closes around December 15th.

Once again, If the zones opened separately we would be able to hunt ducks from roughly September 21 to December 15th. Include a 16 day teal season and we’d have a very unrestricted state envious of all the other Great Lakes states.

There are hardly any ducks on Lake Michigan before October.

Mergansers and Red heads show up on the Lake in mass around Oct 15th

Scoters and bufflehead show up around October 20th

Oldsquaw show up around October 31st in Door county and slowly move South.

Mallards, black ducks and Goldeneye seem to peak or dramatically increase in numbers around December 1st or basically when everything else freezes.

The Lake Michigan zone should start at the shore line and include a 100 yard buffer zone for killing ducks on shore. Meaning, if I drop a duck on shore I can then ring it’s neck while standing on shore this will also take advantage of all the public land along the shore.

woodiefanatic, Ratboy and GK1 like this.
  7. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Here's how 2 zones 2 splits could work SHOULD THE FEDS ALLOW WINK WINK-

Statewide opening weekend early as possible.

North zone 5 day split then run the 58

-2020 dates would be Sept 26 and 27 then Sat Oct 3rd - Sun Nov 29. This ends the Sunday after Thanksgiving adding another weekend (holiday weekend too).

South zone 12 day split, run 51 days then 2nd split for 7 more days in December.

-2020 dates would be Sept 26 and 27 then Sat Oct 10th - Sun Nov 29th split 10 days then open Thur December 10th- Wed 16th)

IMO this gives everyone a little of what they want. Statewide opener, 5 day later north zone thru Thanksgiving, special "late season" hunt, etc

8. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Talking 2021 for changes in zones and splits... FYI

pud123 and pointblind like this.
  9. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

:clap

10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

I like PB’s structure. I think it would appease most. If not something like that I think you want a north, south, and a Lake Michigan zone. Mrz and south are pretty similar.

Open the north the 26th and run a 5 day split. Open the south the 26th or Oct 3rd and run a 12 day or 5 day split. Open lm on the 15th or Halloween and blast mergs until whenever.

I would find it hard pressed to trade days mid oct for mid Dec. More birds, greater variety of birds, and more places to hunt. I know this makes me less hardcore cause I’m not shooting mallards in a cornfield but I’ll have to take that to my grave.

It surprises me the amount of jamokes in this state that complains about shooting early teal and woodies. If it wasn’t for those two birds 80% of the people in this state would not kill a duck.

Running the season pretty much oct thru nov. using splits and zones to extend the front and back ends would give everyone willing to travel an opportunity to hunt the early migrants all the way to the last beerganser on lm.

Anyway it’s duck season so no more on this until after Christmas

Ratboy, pointblind and pud123 like this.