2021 Potential Zone Changes

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by 1duckmaster, Oct 1, 2019.

What is your preference?

This poll will close on Oct 15, 2019 at 10:06 AM.
  1. Leave as is? No change

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. 3-zones, but north line is move to hwy 64

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. 3 zones or U zone. Hwy 10 north and Hwy 18 south

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3 zones or U zone. Hwy 64 north and Hwy 18 south

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. 4 zone North south Hwy 10 and MRZ and Lake Michigan Zone

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. 4 zone North south Hwy 64 and MRZ and Lake Michigan Zone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 3 zone Hwy 10 north/south and a Lake Michigan Zone

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  8. 3 zone Hwy 64 north/south and a Lake Michigan Zone

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  9. 3 zone north, south, east west. Hwy 10 north, Hwy 39 east/west

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. 3 zone north, south, east west. Hwy 64 north, Hwy 39 east/west

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Senior Refuge Member

***sarcasm on *** I say, make the zones and zone boundaries as complicated as possible to discourage newbies from taking up the sport. Make sure the different zones have different regs and different permit requirements, too, like the Horicon zone used to have. While we are at it raise license and duck stamp pricing and reduce hunter safety course access, and make the remainder of the waterfowl and small game regs more complex too. ***sarcasm off***

But seriously: I hunt on Lake Michigan (Door County) and probably at least half the years the ramps are frozen up before the end of the current S zone season, that is, by December 5, sometimes a lot earlier than that. So a later duck season -- to December 15 -- on Lake Michigan will not do me much good in those years. Whereas I do tend to shoot a fair number of ducks on Lake Michigan in early October (not divers).

2. coyote hounder

coyote hounder Senior Refuge Member

I voted for a Lake Michigan zone although I’d probably never hunt it.

3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

This is the part that most people fail to realize. The LZ would be inaccessible to most everything north of Manitowoc most years once December hits. Not everyone is as crazy as @SB2MAG and willing to risk life and limb to ax a hole out of the harbor for 200-300 yards to hit open water and kill mergs and goldeneyes. Now if you want to stretch that zone inland a couple of miles, then I'm all for it. There are 1 or 2 ducks using the fields at that time of the year in those areas.

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Peak duck numbers are in October for the North and South zones according to Taylor. But Lake Michigan in my observation gets more ducks around the beginning of December. Even if the Lake Michigan zone was open only until December 7th it would be better than being open in September.

Last year I hunted Lake Michigan for geese six days in December and once this year on January 3rd. The Door county launch I used was ice free on all the days I used it. I also hunted from shore on public land. I broke Ice on January 3rd.

61AF4ED7-E6AC-46EF-B139-C38DCA36D0B5.png

9C0BA9D7-B3B3-4559-BFE8-D9E18FABE38A.png

Hunting Lake Michigan the first week or two in December will not be a problem.

BTW here is Nov 29 last year in door county. Broke a little ice. No big deal.

4964BE58-8C10-4301-891C-88628D52FCB1.png

5. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

That’s a mans motor sbmag, daddy like

6. volkman

volkman Refuge Member

i live in door county and there is never a time that i couldn't get on lake michigan to hunt in december , if you think all access is all frozen up half the years you arent looking at enough places. And the colder it is the better the hunting is. if you have a favorite ramp with a dock you like to use i can believe that but to say every rampo is froze up in half the years by dec 5th is jsut not true.

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Although the thought of zone changes is relevant, unless the 3 day duck hunter votes for longer splits and different dates than are currently used it is going to make little to no difference.

Why we are not utilizing all the teal season days as well is beyond me.

pud123 and woodiefanatic like this.
  8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

So what you are saying is; if the Lake Michigan Zone were to be All lands and water North of the Illinois border and East of Hwy 94 to Hwy 43, East of Hwy 43 to Hwy 310, then South of 310 to Hwy 42, then East of 42 to Hwy 57 and then East of 57 to North Port and all of Washington Island and East to the Michigan State Line, that hunters from from North Dakota, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Louisiana would travel to Wisconsin in December to hunt the giant clouds of mallards and black ducks that roost on Lake Michigan and feed in the fields thus adding significantly to the local economy?

Is that what you want? More hunters with trailers full of crap driving in fields, outfitters, hotels full, lines at the gas stations, leased fields, Cabelas in Green Bay would actually have waterfowl hunting gear, Toye would have an East coast operation, hunters could hunt oldsquaw in the morning then field hunt the afternoon, Trophy black ducks at the local taxidermists, and your favorite gas station restaurant would be packed.

Hunter success rates as whole would dramatically increase.

Is that what you’re trying to say? Do you really want this? Or should we have a three day teal season because it hinders the youth day? Plus we need only a 60 day season because by November everyone is Deer Hunting and why bother to improve hunting opportunities when half the hunters in the state go to ND the last week in October.

BTW tundra swans use Lake Michigan a lot and I’ve never seen Trumpeter swans on the Lake, so maybe we could get a Tundra Swan season for the Lake Michigan zone? :scratch

9. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

That is not at all what I said. Have you had your Diet Coke yet today? What I said is 99.99% of the people would not use a lake only zone after Dec 1, due to the difficulty in launching and wave conditions even if they could.

10. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

What you are failing to take into account is that most of your new central zone is froze up early. The people in the north part of central zone would want days mirroring north zone, while those in the southern area of central zone would want dates mirroring south zone. This is one of the poorest zone changes we could vote for.