2021 Turkey Thread

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

As snow goose season winds down, it's time for gobblers. How's the action in everyone's area of the state? I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Spent about 24 hours total in my ground blind. The turkeys were pretty tough. Still flocked up and not very cooperative. Windy conditions didn't help either. The highlight of the weekend was two hens and a tom coming into the decoys at 10 yards. Unfortunately the hens were in the way of the tom and my buddy couldn't get a shot at him. A half hour later, three jakes showed up but were leery of something. My buddy managed to get a shot at 20 yards but the arrow nicked a bean stalk and ended up just giving him a haircut. Hoping the forecast gets them in the mood as I'm still looking to bag my first archery gobbler.

jcneng and 20gaSprig like this.
  2. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Similar results here, very leery of the decoys except for the jakes! Friday afternoon we had a tom gobble at us 34 times, my grandson was counting! He would not come in but it was fun. jakes.jpg

ajj16, GK1, Huskermut and 1 other person like this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

What brand of decoy is that? It matches the birds very well.

4. jcneng

Dave Smith

5. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Got out for the first time this morning on some birds I roosted last night. They were just across the property line but I had a good feeling what they were going to do. There were three toms in a closer tree that I didn't see last night but we didn't bother them. The first bird that hit the ground was from that close tree and right away I thought we had a good chance at him. He was strutting and looking hard our way right off the bat. He had to cross a fence and a creek to get to us so it wasn't going to be a slam dunk. It took him maybe 10 minutes, but he finally came. As soon as he got past the creek he came walking in fast. He was eight yards and just sitting right next to the jake decoy. His head and chest were barely covered up by the decoy but I thought I could thread one in there. Well I let my arrow fly and realized after that I just barely clipped the top of the netting inside the blind. It must have been enough to engage my blades. I hit back just a hair and hit him in the side in the wing and my arrow just bounced off him and broke several wing feathers. I tried shooting him again at 10-15 yards but I rushed my shot and didn't take my time and barely grazed his back. He walked off just fine and then started strutting again 100 yards away. We had three jakes come in not long after and commit indecent acts against the hen decoy and tried to beat up the jake decoy. They were probably there for 10-15 mintues. We could see four toms about 200 yards away strutting and acting like they were going to come our way, especially with those jakes there, but never did. After awhile those toms followed the property fence just past us 100 yards almost on a dead sprint and I thought they were all going to come check us out but they just wanted to be somewhere else I guess. It was a fun morning for sure with a good chance, I just didn't capitalize. This was only my third time archery turkey hunting and I was already two for two, so I just needed to lower my success rate to a more realistic rate is all. :l

GK1, ajj16, Huskermut and 2 others like this.
  6. jcneng

Grandsons first turkey
    IMG_7241.jpg

pickadrake, GK1, brentbullets and 4 others like this.
  7. nebgoosehunter

Awesome Jeff!! Thanks for the pics over the weekend!

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Nice

9. nebgoosehunter

Had a great solo hunt this morning but did not bag a bird. I set up at a spot I got permission on last year without scouting it. I didn't get to the spot that I wanted to get to because I thought the birds had pegged me on the roost. It didn't seem to matter as the first three birds that hit the ground were three jakes and they came right over. Hot on their heels were five toms. One tom took off on a dead sprint past me without even stopping. Not sure where he was going because there were no birds or habitat where he was heading. The other four toms stayed back about 20-30 yards with the jakes in the decoys at 8-10 yards. Finally had one bird, that I thought may have been the dominant bird come strolling in slowly strutting and drumming. He was right behind the jakes with no clear shot right at 10 yards. As fast as he came in, he turned around and went back out to the other toms. I didn't feel like flinging an arrow out to 25-30 yards because it was pretty windy and I'm not what you call a dead eye. They wandered off and the jakes stayed and probably 10 minutes later I heard some more drumming and look behind me and the toms and a couple hens came back out into the pasture. They just hung out 40-50 yards away but finally one tom came over to check me out. He came very slow but steady, strutting the whole time. He got to 20 yards and a gust of wind came and picked my blind up and moved it two feet. The whole flock spooked and that was it for that property. Guess I should have staked my blind down, but it wasn't windy when I first set up. I wanted to check out another small piece of ground I got permission on last year in the Wildcat Hills. I thought it would be more of a scouting hike and I'd look for sheds along the way. I didn't think the turkeys got up into the high hills until the end of April when they broke up out of their winter flocks in the creek bottoms. I was hiking along the property boundary and crested a little rise and there in front of me 30 yards is a tom. I drop to my belly and call and he makes a big circle around me and is now behind me. I call some more and he started strutting but pretty much walked away at a good pace. During this time I struck up a couple more toms in a canyon 200 yards away on the other side of the fence. I didn't have any blind or any decoy so I thought this was going to be pretty tough to get one with a bow, but there happened to be a fallen pine tree limb on the fence line that I hid behind. I could shoot either left or right of me if they crossed the fence. These two toms were pretty hot and it didn't take them long to get to me. They came over a rise in front of me maybe 20 yards and looked hard but couldn't find the source of the hen calling. I held still behind my limb and they approached to 10 yards. They just would not come across the fence. Couldn't do anything about it and they turned and walked away, still fired up. I had three good chances, which is crazy for archery I'm guessing in one morning, I just didn't get to release an arrow. Still a very fun morning which is what it is all about!

GK1, Huskermut and jcneng like this.
  10. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

After numerous sits and countless hours in the blind, I was finally able to make it happen on my first archery turkey last Sunday. Here's a cool still I grabbed of my arrow in midflight. And here's the video for anyone interested:

GP090001_Moment.jpg