2021 Turkey Thread

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Mar 30, 2021.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Nice bird.

Huskermut likes this.
  2. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Very good video and GREAT shot! Nicely done

Huskermut likes this.
  3. 20gaSprig

20gaSprig Refuge Member

Awesome video Huskermut. I also punched a tag on Sunday. I'd been holding out for a mature tom but after passing on 5 jakes this season it was time to let an arrow fly. Spot #1 was unsuccessful, had birds gobbling hard but wouldn't cross the fenceline so around 9:30 I packed up and drove 10 miles to spot #2. I had a bird gobbling before I was completely setup and a jake showed up 5 minutes later. He slowly pecked around the field in front of the decoys and I wasn't sure he'd approach but I told myself if he made it to the decoys I'd shoot him. He took his time but eventually decided to investigate the jake and hen decoys and he got a Rage at 5 yards. Meat in the freezer, and I'll be out looking for a big tom this weekend.

Huskermut likes this.
  4. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

I don't know nothing about turkeys other than they taste pretty darn good. Usually spring time is to get my dog back in hunt test shape, but I retired my dog from hunt tests last year and don't have a pup yet so I might as well give this a shot. My brother in law owns about 40 acres 10 min outside of town and doesn't care if I hunt out there. It's all pasture ground in the middle of farm country. This is the only pasture in a couple square miles. It has about a 10 acre stand of timber next to it and a couple creeks on neighboring sections with some bigger cottonwoods. Drove out there this morning to listen, sure enough there were turkeys gobbling in that timber that butts up to this pasture. Looking at things from google and talking with others at work that turkey hunt, I'm pretty fired up for this Saturday! Decoys and call should be here tomorrow morning and borrowing a blind. Bring on Saturday!

5. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Good luck! It is very addicting! I don't know if this is blasphemy to say on a waterfowl forum but turkey hunting has probably grown into a tie with waterfowl for my favorite hunting.

waterfowler6963 likes this.
  6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

:fp you should be banned. :l

Huntges11 and waterfowler6963 like this.
  7. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Neb - Like I always tell my friends I'm damn glad that spring turkey season does not conflict with waterfowl season otherwise it would a tough call as to which one gets my time.

8. nebgoosehunter

Well I don't think hunting turkeys in the dead of winter would be very fun so I'd still choose waterfowl lol. Part of the allure of hunting turkeys for me is springtime itself.

9. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

I totally agree. Spring is the only time to hunt turkeys! Just everything about that time of the year is exhilarating.

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  10. nebgoosehunter

We struck out Saturday morning, not for lack of effort though. Long story short, we went to three different properties, all three had gobblers on them, never had a bird within 100 yards the whole morning. The last property we spent two and a half hours playing cat and mouse with this group. Finally made a play on them trying to get in front of them, went all the way around a clump of trees and they were right back where we had just been sitting. Snow on the ground and cold morning temps had them shut off pretty well I'm thinking. Went Sunday evening and called three jakes and a hen in at one spot, moved to another spot on the property and called in two hens. Never heard or saw a gobbler there. I had my boys with me and they had a blast though seeing all those birds in close! I've had a ton of action so far this season, I just can't seal the deal yet.

Huskermut likes this.