2022-2023 Migratory Bird Season open to public comment

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
even if you don't bait there may be others that do. our worst year in a long time with divers. when we don't see them we question weather as we often get a regular push and then another when there is weather up north and the other thing we question is who may be baiting and keeping them in an area. funny thing is I was chatting with someone about a potential blind site they used to have and was considering putting in for it next year as they hunted it for years and said it was pretty good. they said it used to be good but they think just about everyone there is baiting and unless you want to put out bait it is hard to get any trafficking birds now. it isn't worth the risk to me to bait and get caught and risk fines and loss of license for some diver but i think there are a bunch of folks that still do and don't give a rats azz about the risk of getting caught.

Is DNR aware of the baiting?

Duck Wrangler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So if you know people are baiting is something being done?
Not that I am aware of. They keep a small circle, so you just hear whispers of what they do after the season. I do not/will not hunt with any of them, so I only hear from the guys who leak info. It's going on for sure; how to catch them is the hard part. The ponds they hunt are not visible from the highway, so you are trespassing if you drive in to check it out. Their day is coming.

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is DNR aware of the baiting?
i don't know. I heard someone in the area where i was thinking about applying for a stake blind next year was popped this year. many of the locals will bait someone else's area and call the popo just to get rid of them as well if you are encroaching to close and impacting their hunts or F your truck and or trailer up at the ramp. doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who is more than likely baiting when birds congregate and keep going into an area or blind and getting busted day in and day out as it isn't the grasses keeping them coming back. most of the long time locals know who is doing what or has a pretty good idea when birds are being held, congregated or short stopped from traditional places. small world in many places and outside of the chicken neckers or outsiders everyone knows everyone or knows who is hunting their property and what they are doing.

markd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who is more than likely baiting when birds congregate and keep going into an area or blind and getting busted day in and day out as it isn't the grasses keeping them coming back.

....especially when the area hasn't historically held birds in those numbers for the last 15 years or so.....

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of. They keep a small circle, so you just hear whispers of what they do after the season. I do not/will not hunt with any of them, so I only hear from the guys who leak info. It's going on for sure; how to catch them is the hard part. The ponds they hunt are not visible from the highway, so you are trespassing if you drive in to check it out. Their day is coming.

Their day won’t come until someone steps up and drops the dime.