2022 Waterfowl

SB2MAG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rolled the dice this morning. It came up three for geese.

The wind was right for the goosenazi archipelago. Which is good because there have been about 4000 geese and one snow goose out amongst the islands.

Motoring out past goosenazi island 6 in the dark, I could hear all the geese. Tucker also smelled the geese. His nose was in the air with ears perked.

So I motored back to the mainland and set up in some public land flooded timber between the archipelago and ten square miles of chopped corn and winter wheat. Maybe the geese might fly close enough.

99489039-55F5-4C1B-A555-8B9FB74D9A48.jpeg

After the geese went out to feed at 08:51, I made the 30 minute run back out to the archipelago.

By 09:45 only two single geese came back out to goosenazi island 6. Got one. The rest stayed on a couple of the two three inner islands that are hard to hunt.

2C3CDE14-9235-4D34-BE92-58442F440DBE.jpeg

Littlesturgeon

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyone from WI heading to ND for waterfowl this fall? I’m planning to be there 11/5-11/10.
Was planning on going. Doing strictly water hunting and targeting mallards. Looking at the long range forecast the mallards should show up in January....

I'm thinking of going to the northwest part of the state. I've heard it's getting dry. This is a trip for my dad. I asked what he wanted to do and his response " I want to hunt small water for mallards" SMH. Any one got any input

#1WATERFOWLER

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rolled the dice this morning. It came up three for geese.

The wind was right for the goosenazi archipelago. Which is good because there have been about 4000 geese and one snow goose out amongst the islands.

Motoring out past goosenazi island 6 in the dark, I could hear all the geese. Tucker also smelled the geese. His nose was in the air with ears perked.

So I motored back to the mainland and set up in some public land flooded timber between the archipelago and ten square miles of chopped corn and winter wheat. Maybe the geese might fly close enough.

View attachment 358628

After the geese went out to feed at 08:51, I made the 30 minute run back out to the archipelago.

By 09:45 only two single geese came back out to goosenazi island 6. Got one. The rest stayed on a couple of the two three inner islands that are hard to hunt.

View attachment 358629
I like that sunrise pic

Feathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was planning on going. Doing strictly water hunting and targeting mallards. Looking at the long range forecast the mallards should show up in January....

I'm thinking of going to the northwest part of the state. I've heard it's getting dry. This is a trip for my dad. I asked what he wanted to do and his response " I want to hunt small water for mallards" SMH. Any one got any input

Did you read the pm I sent you about MB? I never got a response from you. I can provide some additional info about NW ND if you are going there.

GK1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not waterfowl related, but allegedly a bunch of ditch chickens got released recently. And ran over more recently. I really like stir fry. Allegedly…

Ya know allegedly....and substitute ditch chicken for ostrich.