22/23 New Gear review

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Sitka pro staffer by any means and wouldn't have bought anything Sitka without a hefty discount, but they've made me a believer. I used a military/vet coupon and got a Duck Oven jacket and some shooting gloves last spring.

With the exception of one of the seams on the finger of one of the gloves separating, which I repaired in 5 minutes myself, both have been bulletproof and very warm.

I'm 100% impressed with the jacket as far as warmth and blocking the wind. I pretty much live in the arctic of the lower 48 and I can go out in sub zero temps with just a tshirt underneath the jacket with no issues. I don't believe it's advertised to be waterproof and haven't had it on during a rain storm, but it does great in snow. I gave up on waterproof jackets around 20 years ago and use Frogg Toggs over my jacket or pants if I want to stay dry.

The shooting gloves fit great, keep my fingers warm as long as it's 20 degrees or more. They weren't made for extreme low temps, but I didn't buy them for that.

I wear a Frogg Togg rain shell over my Duck Oven. Been pairing them for prolly 15 years (just as Sitka was getting going) and I'm the driest and warmest when it blows a cold rain.

Last edited:

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
AzSprig I,ll second that Duck Oven Review. Picked one up after season marked way down last year. Warmest hunting jkt. I,ve ever owned except for an old Drake Goose Down which is a lot bulkier. I don,t think Sitka is carrying them any longer though as they,re not listed on their site any longer. Probably why there were big markdowns on them directly from Sitka just prior to Christmas season. Delfowl I understand your season issues way to well. If it hadn't been for a ready supply of mostly resident geese I wouldn,t have had much shooting. But one shot,one goose isn,t exactly a barrel burner.

DelFowl18

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boss shells were the only thing I could find for my 28 O/U. Used it for mostly wood ducks early on. DB, I never killed a goose this year. Never tried really. We hunted mostly tidal marsh and did fairly well considering. Looking forward to next year!

DelFowl18

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure you could call it gear.

But the tss shot I started useing this season has been a game changer. Got rid of all the steel shot I had stashed away.

Nothing but tss for me from now on.
I started using some 20 gauge tungsten and my brother is using the tss in 20. Very good results for us too

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hevisteel
Used to be a faststeel guy, switched out of necessity and ain't looking back , 4s, 2s , 1s and bbs have all been great .
Guys I goose hunt with ran low and gave them a box of bbs each , they were impressed also .

A5B

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started using some 20 gauge tungsten and my brother is using the tss in 20. Very good results for us too
I'm useing a 1 once load in the 12 gauge.

Got plenty of 20 and 28 guage data but didnt see a price advantage over the 12 guage load I'm useing.

Not cheap but the increased perfomance over steel shot is more then worth it too me.