28 ga . . . anyone ?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by HatterWayne, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Beretta 686. I hunted most of a season with one a few years back and had no issues killing decoying geese with it.

I prefer it to a 20 gauge as it patterns better and has significantly less recoil

2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

I have the tristar semi auto, Mossberg SA28, FAIR SLX600 OU, Pounter OU, Tristars OU, a single shot for the kids, and a Browning Model 12. I enjoy shooting them, and people who are intimidated by the 12gauge recoil or weight enjoy them as well. I hunted quite a bit with the Pointer, a few times with the Model 12, and just yesterday with the FAIR. They’ll kill geese and ducks, I mostly shoot handloads.

markd likes this.
  3. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I have a Beretta 686 28 ga that is great on doves and released quail. Recently bought a pair of 410 barrels for it as well.

4. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

28 is a fine gauge, if you handload it will do anything a 12 will do. If you don't handload and want to kill ducks/geese you are generally way better served with a 20.

5. hutty

hutty Elite Refuge Member

Have a Franchi 28 gauge O/U. Have been hunting with it for rabbits and upland birds for the better part of 10 years. Gun has taken a beating and I love hunting with it. Have a few 20 ga but always go to the 28.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The standard load for 28 ga is 3/4 oz. and there are numerous offerings in 7/8 and 1 oz. When the shelves are empty of 20 ga shells, you will usually find 28s albeit more expensive but they've always been that way.

7. eyeonyou

eyeonyou Elite Refuge Member

Wayne last time i saw you your still look like you 6-6 +/- and a solid 225 or so, You carrying that little 28 is gonna make you look like The Rock shooting a BB gun ahhahahahaaa

8. HatterWayne

HatterWayne Elite Refuge Member

EOY, your so kind! 225? . . . more like 275 now HA! :)