28 ga. & Shell availability

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by qac, Jan 31, 2015.

1. qac

qac Refuge Member

I am looking for some advise on a new 28 gauge.

I am only looking at semi-auto's, that is what I like and will eventually go with. I have looked at the Beretta A400 explorer and I like it very much. The one hang up I have is the safety is in the front of the trigger guard. I prefer the safety behind the trigger guard. I would like to know what other offerings are out there that I could look at, in or about the same price range. It has been a challenge for me to even see much here locally in the 28 ga. line up and I know there is not the demand to stock very many in most places.

Hoping someone might have a good suggestion or two for me to consider. I am not in a hurry so I can take some time and look around before making a decision.

Shells are another challenge I am sure. Any good outlets to find non toxic loads?

Thanks, I appreciate any help or suggestions you might be able to give me.

Qac

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

As I have found , the 28 ga is so much fun to shoot and it doesn't take
    a back-seat to understand its ability . With reloading for the 28 you have
    2 very important advantages , (1) is loads that will perform better than
    most factory offerings and (2) the cost savings is greater as it takes a lot
    less components to get what you're looking for in performance in both
    Lead and Non-Toxic loads.....!

As I have found loading for the 28 ( with help from others ) , don't
    under-estimate what the 28 ga can do , as it's quiet impressive when
    you reload for it !

Wally Dog likes this.
  3. flypaper

flypaper Elite Refuge Member

I was bitten by the 28 ga bug last summer and haven't recovered yet. My first 28 ga was a Remington 1100 Sporting with the 25 1/2" barrel. I shot skeet with it and did very well after I added a weight in the magazine. I reloaded some 5/8 oz loads of # 6 steel and shot teal with it during our early teal season. My 1100 was a few years old and Remington has since increased the barrel length to 27 1/2" to improve the balance and follow-through so you may not need the extra weight. The down side to this gun, if you reload, is that it throws the empties 20 to 30 feet with factory or hunting loads. In spite of this, the 1100 is a great gun and you can buy them new for around $1,000. You might also consider the Tri-Star Viper for around $600. I researched this gun while gun-shopping and the reviews are very good. Both the Tri-Star and the Remington were available on-line through Bud's Gun Shop, last time I looked. Since I shoot skeet and hunt with my 28 ga, I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon I with 30" barrels. Now I don't have to chase my empties or dig them out of the snow or leaves or bend over to pick them up when shooting skeet.
    As far as the availability of ammo, plan on buying several flats of AA's and reloading. Winchester had a great rebate program last year ($2 back per box) and I've heard rumors that they may run it again starting around May. For non-tox hunting loads, I use Fiocchi or Cheddite hulls from Ballistic Products. I've patterned steel in the 28 with shot sizes as large as # 3. based upon the velocities and pattern quality, 30 yards is about the limit for mallards when using steel. I think you could probably kills smaller ducks, like woodies or gadwall out to 40 yards with the right load/choke combination but since we see more mallard-sized ducks during the regular season, with the occasional honker, I use my 10 ga then. If you don't mind paying $3 a shell for heavy-weight reloads, you can buy and reload some ITX13 or HW13 and kill ducks and geese with the 28.
    [​IMG]

4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 O/U's and a newly acquired A400, the Saftey is huge, I am not a fan of it being on the front of the trigger guard, I p/u a gold mallard recently, and my Browning 10 also has the Saftey up front. Upland hunting that Saftey doesn't bother me at all, however, when I shoot the 10 for waterfowl (once every couple years) I can't seem to get use to it. My first shotgun, a Winchester Ranger also had the Saftey up front, didn't know any different never botherd me. With some time I think it would become second hand, no different than a thumb Saftey.

That A400 is a sweet shooting, light gun. Also looked at the Franchi, better price, some great reviews. But the Beretta fit me a little better. I got a great deal on a slightly used 400, like you time was on my side, looked for over a year before finding one.

As far as ammo, Rogers is always a good choice, I am always looking for sub ga. and find some great deals. P/U some non toxic 28ga in a clearance sale for $5 a box, at a local outlet. 28 lead at Rogers for $9 a box 2 seasons ago. With that being said, if i was going to travel with that gun I would make sure I brought more than enough ammo with me. 28ga My favorite sub ga by far, I think my other sub ga's will become safe Queens.

5. mallard chaser

mallard chaser Senior Refuge Member

I have been looking at the Benelli 28 gauge offerings in the Legacy and ultralight would love to own one. I had a Browning Citori 28 and wished I would have never sold it. Shells seem to be easy to find Walmart and cabelas always have then in stock.

6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Very nice
    Makes a big difference especially on decoying ducks when your swinging a lightweight gun doesn't it?
    I found that out 35 years ago with #6 lead loads in my Belgian Sweet 16, why I miss lead so much, cheap on dependable.
    Oh well there's always Bismuth at $2 a pop for reloads...:l

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

With you preference for semi autos and in 28ga, it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity at this time, to get the last mass market long recoil semi auto still produced. THE FRANCHI 48AL 28GA.
    It is the lightest semi auto made, it handles like an absolute dream and its long recoil system is both reliable and functions faultlessly. They are reasonable priced far cheaper than benelli superlights and berettas offerings. Parts are still available from franchi and will be for the foreseeable future as the 48AL is still very much in production.
    The 48Al is one of the sweetest upland semi autos ever made and in 28ga is as good as it gets in my opinion, maintenance is low and they handle any 28ga load with ease.

TAKE A LOOK HERE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWHHdYUMdIM

8. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

I have a FRANCHI 48AL 28GA. I really like it. I think I can break as many clays with it than with any of my other guns 20 or 12ga.
    I had a Tri Star with a polished aluminum receiver. I liked it as far as shooting but I liked the plain look of the Franchi better.

9. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

The 28 is way to economical to shoot if you reload and just to damn fun to shoot. And another thing is you can't have just one. You will end up with a semi and a O/U.

Plan on shopping around the Winchester rebates. Last year I bought 5 cases from Roger's for $93 a case minus the $20 a case. If you don't plan on reloading guys seem to gobble up the HS hulls for 8 - 10 cents a piece. That brings your over all cost per box down in the $7 range.

Flypaper
    That Remington has some beautiful wood.

10. qac

qac Refuge Member

Thanks guys,

You have given me a couple more ideas to think about. Reloading is not for me, never got into it. I will have some time to shop for good deals and hope to have a nice gun and a couple of cases of shells by August so I can be ready for a few doves or teal. Thanks again I appreciate the responses.

Qac