28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm torn between a CZ Bobwhite G2 12 or 28. (I have an O/U CZ Canvasback in 20 so no reason for the happy middle ground).

The 12 would be great for ducks and it can use my Mobil chokes from the SBE....

But the 28 at 5.5 lbs seems like such a sweet little gun that I assume I would enjoy?

One question is, could I buy 28 gauge steel shells and swap out the shot with bismuth or TSS etc in = or lighter loads? I'm sure some filler would be needed to take up the excess space.

Anyone done something like this? I'm thinking the 28 might be good on ducks with some of the premium shot?

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Refuge Member

Buy the 12 gauge if primarily used for ducks. A buddy of mine tried an 870 in 28 gauge with bismuth and the results were terrible.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Personally I don't beleive 3/4 of the sories some of these guys are spewing about slaughtering ducks and geese with 28 gauge guns. Then again it is the Internet and you know how that goes.

5 stand likes this.
  4. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Don't know about the "slaughtering" part , but you can kill birds with the 28 gauge . You just have to know how to shoot and how to hunt .

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Dad always shot his 28 Charles Daly O/U on the opener. That was in the days of lead, but I am sure most any HTL shot type would be fine. I could not recommend steel tho.

JP likes this.
  6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

A friend of mine has been killing ducks and geese with his 28 ga re-loads with TSS and Federal Heavyweight shot. I don't think I would switch the type and density of shot in factory loaded shells, without having them tested.

I wouldn't buy a 28 ga gun if I didn't plan on reloading the 28 ga ammo for it.

Look below at how 15g/cc Federal Heavyweight #7 and HW13 #6 shot compares to the much faster Steel #2 shot.

1250 fps 3/4 oz of HW13 #6 shot has 154 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 53.8 yards.
    1250 fps 7/8 oz of FHW #7 shot has 192 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 73.1 yards.
    1500 fps 1-1/4 oz of Steel #2 shot has 154 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards.

Rogers Sporting Goods still has the Federal Heavyweight 3-1/2" 1-17/8 oz #6 and #7 shot loads that you can rob the shot out of. With the free shipping on orders of $100.00 or more you can take the FHW shot out of these shells and get 15g/cc shot for about the same price per pound that 12g/cc HW13 shot costs if you buy it buy the ten pound bag.
    https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...-turkey-shotshells-12ga-3-1-2-1-7-8oz-1300fps

Fowler267, 5 stand and JP like this.
  7. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Depends on the shooter and the ammo. I hand load 1oz Hw13 #6, trust me it's at least as good as a 12ga with steel.

KillerKowalski and derbyacresbob like this.
  8. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Oh the little 28 can get the job done. It's the Indian not the arrow. In 28ga I shoot a CZ Redhead, Remington 1100, Weatherby SA-08 and my addiction is so bad I just bought a Browning model 12. I'm sure I have posted some of these pics before. These birds were shot with steel #6's, #5's, HW-13 #6's and TSS #8's. I've loaded #6 bismuth but wasn't impressed with the results. It may have been the recipe I used from B.P.? The 28 will not work for all people. It depends on your hunting style. How patient of a hunter are you?

Sub gauge hunting is a lot of fun and ads to the challenge. I can't believe it takes a ten gauge to kill a duck. Boring!! People ask about the 28's and the 20's all the time. And there is the naysayers that just can't believe they kill ducks. So a pic of a pattern from a 16ga generally shows up.

Some guys camp out on forums. Some guys write in blogs. Some guys write books to sell. I like to hunt and I love the 28.

Attached Files:

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

In the right situations and or taking the right shots. Hunted a club where the two members and other locals primarily shot 28 gauges everyone else shot 20 gauges. Shots 30 and under were not a problem. Money wasn't problem so shot bismuth or premium non tox but killed ducks dead. Just not a pass shooting gauge.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm getting to the age I really don't need anymore challenges for hunting anything, given the choice between a 12 or 28 as light as many 12 gage guns are being made anymore I'd take a 12 all day long.
    Just my opinion

Tuleman likes this.