28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

The same reason you don't shoot fast 12 ga steel shot loads, to much recoil.

1 oz of shot and lighter at 1250 fps has a lot less recoil than 1-1/8 oz loads and heavier at 1450 fps.

Most people wouldn't want to shoot at ducks with steel shot with a 28ga. The denser shot types makes a 28 ga or 20 ga guns into efficient waterfowl guns.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

20ga is already a very efficient gun, with steel.

Sunklands and Billy Bob like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Just be honest and admit that you hate steel shot and like so many others blame it for every wounded bird you have ever had while using it.

A 20 doesn't need to be "made into" an efficient waterfowling gun. It already is with regular old steel shot, unless the shooter is a skybuster wanting to shoot beyond 40 yards.

4. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

I am honest and you are right, I don't like steel shot. I quit hunting waterfowl in 1991 when we first had to start shooting steel shot so I have never crippled a duck with steel shot.

In 2008 I had to start using lead free shot to hunt coyotes. I ended trying some Rem HD 12g/cc BB shot in 3" factory loads and it amazed me how much better the harder than lead and denser than lead loads worked on coyotes.

I bought Remington Wingmaster HD loads in sizes #2 and BB and Hevi-Shot Goose loads when they were on sale or had rebates on them. In 2012 I decided I wanted to go on a guided goose hunt, it had been 21 years since I had hunted any geese.

Since I had a fair amount of Rem HD #2 shot and Hevi-Shot Goose B shot loads that is what I used to hunt geese with and they worked great.

In 2015 I bought me a little boat and some decoys to go hunt the Kern National Wildlife refuge for ducks. The last time I hunted this refuge it was around 1979 to 1980. Almost all of the ducks that I have shot in the last 3 seasons were shot with HW13 #6 shot and Federal Heavyweight #7 shot reloads.

As of July 1st of this year we have to hunt with lead free shot and lead free bullets for anything we hunt in California so I will be shooting steel shot at dove and quail. For pheasant, chukar and turkeys I will be using the good shot.

5. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

Why would I want the equivalent of a 12 gauge steel load in my 28 gauge? The same reason I practice with my bow at 70 yards or shoot long range sporting clays targets that are far beyond anything I would ever shoot at in the field. Sometimes I shoot my 6.5-284 at 600 yards but I would never shoot a deer at that range.

I want to KNOW that when I release an arrow or pull the trigger that the critter is dead. I don’t think it’s ethical to push to the maximum range of either your equipment or your abilities on live critters.

I really enjoy shooting sub gauge guns for reasons I can’t explain. Shooting a 12 gauge makes more sense from an efficiency standpoint and I still shoot the 12 a lot. But I like the challenge of getting critters close and hunting with sub gauges or a bow.

Let’s face it folks, all of this stuff is a surrogate activity anyway. An artificial goal to give us something to keep us busy. In my opinion it doesn’t have to make SENSE. But it should be done with some respect for the critters.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Well for all the discussions on the 28, I managed to get my hands on a 20 gauge CZ Bobwhite G2. Its pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be! Nice, light and compact. Points very well and a nice compromise between the 12 and 28. I may have to get it and wait till later to get the 12 or 28.

skiebuster likes this.
  7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Cz :tu

732512CA-DB9D-4858-B61A-170663785B63.jpeg

51171247-5742-4475-8AD1-FD6E3E871DDD.jpeg

I thought about getting a cz Ringneck 12ga but the 20ga does just fine on ducks plus big Turkeys and geese.

skiebuster, Dave in AZ and Fowler267 like this.
  8. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

I had 2 herniated discs in my neck and it was suggested by a doctor that I gauge down to ease the strain on my neck when shooting. I shot Rio Bismuth #5's out of my 28 gauge all last season at everything from teal to sandhill cranes. Choked full I had zero problem killing cranes out to 45 yards. Just had to shoot them in the head. I likely won't ever pick up a 12 gauge again now that bismuth is somewhat readily available and affordable (compared to hevi shot).

markd, Dave in AZ, JFG and 1 other person like this.
  9. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

if anyones needing 28ga IndianCreek choke tubes send me a message. $65 shipped and these will do excellent with hevishot, bismuth and especially TSS.

10. KillerKowalski

KillerKowalski Senior Refuge Member

After taking the time to read this entire thread, for those that disagree with a 28 with heavier than lead shot, how many times have you shot a 28 with heavier than lead shot that patterned better than steel? Why do you choose to shoot inefficient 10 and 12 gauge loads?

Personally, I have a Gold 10, SBE2, SBE H&K and a 20 M2 to pull any day for waterfowl. I pull my sub gauge most often. Not because I can’t handle recoil. Because of ballistics and reloads heavier than steel. We shoot finishing birds. That’s the fun of the waterfowl. If they aren’t committed, I’m not interested.