28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

CZ 28ga Ringneck

84FEF9DE-6067-4E6E-BA09-35863DACF8F4.jpeg

It feels slightly smaller than my 20ga Ringneck. Definitely less recoil than the 20ga but about the same as for killing pigeons. Lead 6s or 7.5 work very well.

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

nice pic ! when you start reloading there's a Load I find works well for pigeons in a Cheddite Hull ! With a Ched 209 , 15.5 grs Longshot , Sporting 28 ll wad
    and 3/4 oz of 6's it performs well out of a Mod or IM choke . I shoot a mod 12 and a Browning 525 30" but I can see you're having just asmuch fun with your
    28 Ringneck !

Wait until you run some HW 15 g/cc through it for watewrfowl......amazing !!

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I love the sub gauges for hunting. They type of habitat I hunt for ducks is almost exclusively cypress/tupilo/button bush or green timber. We take only close shots which makes the small guns effective. I shot a 28 gauge exclusively for 3 seasons hunting. I shot it for everything from doves to turkeys. For ducks I used steel #4 and #6. For geese I used H13#4 and H15#4. For turkeys I used TSS9.5. For ducks out to 30-35 yards the #4-#6 steel worked good. The goose loads of H13-H15 were more effective than 12ga steel. The TSS#9.5 I use on turkeys would pattern very tight with just the factory full flush choke, and was very effective! I have also shot several limits of mallards with a 410 shooting 3/8oz #6 steel. I felt good about the 410 to 25 yards.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Hey that sound Great ! What recipe did you load for the 28 using H 13 and H15 in 4's ? How about the Steel Duck loads 3/8 oz of 6's , in a 3" ?

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Off topic a bit here Larry but it just amazes me the interest in the 28 gauge these days. 25 years ago the gun shops around here couldn't give 28 gauge shotguns away, nobody was interested. Oh to only have some foresight and have bought every one of those bargain basement guns up back the !!
    Ok done with my off topic.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

As some of us age we turn away from the latest and greatest.... I have an Original SBE if I want to shoot 3.5 inch mule kicks... It's fun to take the single shot that I paid $48 for at Kmart back in the day(Mule kick, No extra Charge!) or a 20 gauge. And possibly even the 28 that it seems several guys are using effectively.

That said, I do have a deal to buy a 10 gauge SxS...

7. longshot

The 3” 410 3/8oz load was Factory winchester experts. I only reload the 28ga. My steel, H13, and H15 loads are ballistic products load data.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I hear ya, I guess back then wasn't the age. Have to say and this is in no way BS, believe it or not if you want, one shop offered me a Merkel O/U for under $1000. Real nice gun closed and opened real crisp little to no handling marks on it, so I ask is the gun being a 28 gauge the only reason it's this cheap?? Guy behind the counter told me that gun was sitting on the shelves for over a year. Like always I walked away as I was in the no way I'd own one of those gruop and kick myself in the butt to this day.
    On the 10 gauge SxS, most of them were made in Spain or Italy and imported as trade name guns.You are probably aware of this already but parts for those guns are impossible to find, someone to service them is also a needle in a haystack.

9. Ravenanme

I think you spent tomuch time at Dolly World as your Fantasy world is still kicked in !
    Show us some of the recipes #'s you use , tell us how you alter them ?

10. longshot

I am not sure what fantasy world you are referring to? You and I have talked about reloading 28ga non toxic shot several times by private conversation on here back in 2015. I also talked to another member or two at that time to help me get started reloading for the 28.