28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

There's your first problem.

2. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

All my non toxic loads use a cheddite hull and TPS wad. The steel load uses lil gun powder and the H13/H15 use steel powder. The TSS load is one I got from Hal and is not to be shared. The data by ballistic products is about the only published thing to go off of as far as I know for 28 gauge non toxic load data.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I don't recognize you by your avatar , I'll have to go back to my PM's and see......!

4. 10GAGENUT

I took a good look at BPI's HW15 and TSS load data sheet they put out, 90%of the loads on there I wouldn't even attempt to try just looking at them on the sheet.
    I really loved the 5000 psi range 12 gauge loads they published, in 40 years of doing this I've never seen hunting loads in the 5000 psi range. They would be instant bloopers as soon as the weather turned cold.

5. longshot

I have shot 5+ cases of just 28ga steel and several different other tungsten based shot type reloads in the last few years. I have had no problems with the BPI loads up to this point. The velocity increase with the steel reloads of almost 1500fps over the 1300fps factory loads is a good increase in performance in my experience.

6. Ravenanme

I can't seem to find you in my past , PM me with a recall of what our dicussions were ? Please

7. Ravenanme

OK Longshot NOW I remember our conversations ! You have experience and success loading the 12 / 28 with HW 13 and 15 as I remember
    and with your conversation with Dave from BPI was assured the pressure you loaded at was safe . You'll have to excuse both myself and others
    for being leary when we read of some statements fellas write on this forum and others . There is now a great following of 28 ga shooters asking
    for advise as this trend has gone wild . With fellas like Hal's (SST) knowledge and others ,Dave , Jesse and those Olka guys , WOW , this has been
    a eye opener what this little gun , with a 2 3/4" hull can do......if , you load the right components .
    I'll be watching for your post and hopefully we can share our experiences ?

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

Shame of it is he's right there's so little out there on the 28 gauge for components and load information you have to take what you can get.
    Dr Jon From RSI had told me a few years ago he was having a 28 gauge steel shot wad made, that never happened.
    Wonder why he never had it done???

9. longshot

I will be glade to tell anyone any information I have learned about the 28 ga. I posted in and early response that I shot nothing but my 28 gauge for 3 seasons of hunting and clay shooting. If people have questions about loads and performance on game just ask. I know ravenanme and hamernhonkers helped me with info on reloading etc when I started my 28 gauge journey in the spring of 2015 right before turkey season.

10. Ravenanme

The TPS wad from ( drum roll please ,haha) BPI has worked wonders for the 28 , for me . Shooting steel shot and HW it does its job .
    For upland Lead loads I like the Sporting ll wad from BPI also in the Cheddite hulls and the ClayBuster in AA's and Rem's .