28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Which is fine. I would never tell anyone what they had to shoot.

Then again, I would hesitate to disavow the experiences of others, just because I hadn't tried it.

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

I've seen a couple really good wing shots kill ducks with a 28. Back in the lead days, but bismuth, tungsten, etc will do it. They picked their shots and I don't think they took anything over 25-30 yards. Works great for woodies and teal in flooded timber, beaver swamp,etc. wouldn't dream of it over open water unless you're self-disciplined enough to hold off until they decoy......

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Indian and Arrow, 10,12,16,20,28 are all capable of getting the job done, the question is are you. I have multiple guns in multiple gauges, love the tens, have never shot a 3.5” 12 ga. Would shoot the 28 a lot more if it wasn’t so expensive, which might deem it impractical if you don’t reload. The 28 is also my favorite for club birds. My main duck gun is a 12ga, with 2 3/4” shells. I guess I am just more practical now days.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

The club I hunted the mallards worked in nice. For most part, all were most soil units, tree lined, stand up blinds in the trees or banks, most shots were 15 yards. Pressure was light.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I could get it done with a 410, on the right day. That doesn't mean I would even THINK about using one for waterfowl on a regular basis. People owe it to the birds they hunt to make quick and humane kills, not sail crippled birds all over the marsh. 10 and 12 gauges are the KINGS of waterfowl hunting.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I've shot a 28 O/U exclusively for doves for over 25 years. Shot a 28 Rem 1100 some for mallards in flooded timber back during the days of lead. As much as I like the 28, it just wouldn't make any sense for the type of duck hunting I do now. I've threatened, in my mind, to give it a go for Sept. wood duck & teal but that has been just that, a threat.

7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Lots of guys are shooting smaller gauges which is fine. I am headed in the other direction,like a mini gun mounted on the bow of the duck boat. Here in the East we don't get many tolls during the season. We try to make each shot count.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Not so much disavowing however I'm not one to pump sunshine at someone on a gun that is only marginal for most duck hunting and admittedly by most you basically have to reload for it to get enough from them to kill ducks on a regular basis, which is what the OP was originally asking.
    To me guns are to expensive these days to recommend something I wouldn't use for ducks.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Hunting ducks with any gauge gun is a lot of fun. Is shooting ducks at 35 yards with a 28 gage more challenging than shooting ducks at 35 yards with a 12?
    If it is, it's only because the 28 is less capable.

A 1oz payload is at least as good as, say, a 1 3/8oz payload?
    Don't care what the shot material is, weight is weight is energy.
    I'm of the Nash Buckingham school of thought: I like to hit them with heavy payloads of large shot. When I decide to pull the trigger on a duck, I want that duck hitting the water, dead.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Weight on the scale does not equate to energy downrange.

KillerKowalski likes this.