28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Now all I'd have to do is a buy a 28 gauge shotgun, which is never going to happen in this lifetime.
    I sold off the last of my 20 gauges last year becasue I never used it, but yes Larry I do have seven 16 gauge guns.
    I 'll just stick with what I have for the past 40 years 10,12 and 16 gauge, they have all done the job for me very well.
    You guys enjoy.

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

It kills better than any steel load I’ve ever shot. I don’t care about patterning and what not, I just go off of real world experience which I have plenty of when it comes to killing waterfowl. Are there better loads than Hevi-Metal out there??? Absolutely, but they cost a ton more money per shell and I’ve had no issues with the HM for many years.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

To each their own , IMHO after patterning the Hevi-Metal in the same shot size as Premium steel shot purchased at RSI , the plain Steel actually patterned
    tighter and with a more consistant Gaussion pattern ! At the distance I shoot my birds ( inside 45 yds ) these $4.20 a box loads suit my style !

10GAGENUT likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

Yes sir but you have to take into consideration 95% of those that hunt don't reload, which is fine by me it's the individuals choice.
    When you do load your own you see the gap in how poorly much factory ammo performs and how much better you can do than factory ammo.
    Again not knocking to each his own.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's Right Joe , when comparing Store bought factory shells to my hand loads by patterning at the true distance that I need these shells to work is
    where I can see the advantages of tweaking the load , here and there . Sometimes all it takes is more or less powder , a different wad , maybe sliting
    the wad with more or less slits , a tweak in the payload . In my case the Geap finishing tool spins the crip that gives me consistent load pressure , that's
    the fun of reloading , knowing I have the Best loads in the Marsh .

6. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

It surprises me this thread has made 20 pages.
    I like loading/reloading in the winter to kill the winter blues. There has been a lot of naysayers talking down the 28. The 28 isn't for everyone but i love the little gauge. With reloading it has surprised me what the little gun can do.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Trevor Shannahan

It does plenty fine on ducks even without reloading. Most hunters are just poor shots.

8. 10GAGENUT

Maybe the ones you hunt with but I hunt and have hunted with some guys that could put most shooters under the table as well as they shot.
    I know of two on here, Native and Raven (sure there's many others) that would humble me quite easily if I shot with them.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Farm4wildlife likes this.
  9. Trevor Shannahan

I’ve hunted and guided all over this country and in Canada... literally only had 2 I would consider good shots, only several more I would consider decent shots. The majority of guys, even serious hunters aren’t great shots

10. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

And this whole time I thought everyone on this forum was a great wing shot. Oh well.