28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Most everyone who hunts Baby Birds in Canada are good shots , after the half dozen times I've been there ,shooting birds at 20 yds proved that !
    Apparently you cater to a lesser ability crowd of hunters who don't hunt much but I assure you , competition in the marsh is better than You think !

10GAGENUT likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Seems like one of those people that I meet from time to time and advise them if people tell them they are in love with themselves listen very closely.

3. Ravenanme

Something tells me , there are wantobe guides who like to shoot others birds , I'm real choosy with the birds I shoot , as I don't want birds shotup or
    a less desirable type ......The sport is for fun , the bird harvested is for eating , in my home !

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Get the birds close enough and anything will kill them. Simple as it gets.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I don't know about 'humble'. But thanks for the shout out.
    I took a local youth, who is one of the top 10 shooters at our Trap Club, for a 3 hour drive up North to the closest Sporting Clays range yesterday. He shoots all over MT, and just went to the SCTP Nationals in Ohio last month. Brought home a couple of 1st place finishes (He is about 13 years old)
    I went cuz he is a great kid, and I have a couple of SC's shoots I signed up for in Lewistown next month, and I haven't shot SC's for over 25 years.

It isn't/wasn't as tough as I hear everyone making it out to be. Not knowing the course, I over-choked. I went I/C-LtMod, and should have gone SK-IC. In fact, I should have brought my 20ga.

We both shot 84's. Knowing the course now, I figure a decent score for me would be 90-93. When we gave the desk lady our scores, she was kinda shocked. She said those scores would qualify us for the Club Championship.

They also had a pretty tough 5-Stand (compared to the one at our club) with longer shots, faster birds, and some odd angles/dropping birds. Shot a 23 on that. Austin shot a 21.

Probably the thing that most pleased me was our Skeet shoot. I LOVE to shoot skeet, but haven't done it for about 20+ years. No skeet fields at our club. I shot a clean round. Pretty tickled about that. Austin shot a 22.
    http://406mtsports.com/local/darby-...cle_cdb66263-f754-5b79-809c-cd221b58a7a5.html

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Well how many different people have you hunted with in your life time??? Doing it as part of my living for years I have hunted with many, of all different experience levels, and most were average to below average shots. And hunting public land quite a bit back in the day gave me the same observations.

I’m not sure what your comments about guides shooting had to do with anything. Guides can’t even possess a gun in SK, and I only bat cleanup on cripples getting out of the spread here in the states.

I’m also purely talking wingshooting here not clays. That is a whole other discussion as I have seen good wingshooters who can’t break clays to save their life, and vice versa, with a few who are great at both.

7. Ravenanme

Well as good as that round was you should enter the State shoot , play all the options , as only the top Master shooters usually do !
    I wish you luck , if you are only in D class or Hunter Class but , I will say from experience , the game has changed in 25 years , there's more better shooters
    playing the game than you ever thought ! Sounds like you're a Great Help to the Youth in your area , giving them some diversity in the shooting sports ?
    Each discipline has it's own quirks of gun handling and (usually) a good shooter will do well in a instinctive way but , there're certain things that need to
    be learned or mastered to be a all around Champion like King George .
    You're on the right track exposing this Youngman to where the real money is , other than Trap Shooting !

8. Ravenanme

Believe Me , a good clay target shooter has no problem shooting live birds ! There're trap shooters who can shoot straightway birds faster than you can Blink
    and there're Sporting Clays shooters who can make some of the most impossible shots , every time ! So , don't pound your chest to hard until you have a
    little more experience competeing as a wingshot . Most who blows a lot of Smoke , usually are just that , all talk !
    Now , if your name is in the record books , excuse my French ? Please

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’m around a lot of good clay shooters as I shoot a lot myself, some are great wingshooters and some are average. Maybe our definitions of good are just different. I consider myself a good winshooter, and only a slightly above average clay shooter.

I can say this, my father will outshoot most local Master Class sporting shooters including myself on dove or ducks, and would probably barely break a 37/50 on a charity clays course.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I don't shoot nearly as much as either of you guys do, I did years ago but work and life in general got a bit in the way of all that.