28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Watch a few PSCA shoots on Utube , then check back in the morning ! Like Most Master Class shooters it takes consistent competition shooting to stay sharp !
    There's no use getting on your High horse until you have the experience to compete Nationally , in San Antonio ?

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’ve shot with and around plenty of guys that used to be on the PSCA tour like Radulovich, Mein, Matarese, etc. Heck I just got back from Worlds and was in the squad right behind our new world champ Cory Kruse, so I know the level they are at and the freakish consistency they have, which is why even though I’m a master class shooter I only consider myself a slightly above average clay shooter. The “pros” are on another level. I’m not sure how saying that is somehow me being on a high horse to you.

I have been to nationals the last 3 years, even did well my first year of shooting clays finishing t-1 in D class. Unfortunately I shot the first weekend rotation and left so I wasn’t there for the shoot off and I ended up with 2nd place. My 2nd year, I had just punched into AA and shot very poorly. My 3rd year (last year) was my first year there as a M and 1st time shooting the 4 day rotation. I shot about as well as I personally could ask for and was happy with how it went even though it was nowhere near the top.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

My Father was the best wing shot I ever saw. Back in the days of lead, which is mostly what he shot, he would routinely kill birds I wouldn't even raise up on. Mostly jump shooting.

I have shot with several guys who were good wing shots, not so much on clays. I have never shot with a good (overall) clay shooter who was a 'bad' wing shot. Trap shooters, yes. SC's, 5-stand, or Skeet, no. Oh, they might miss the first shot or two, being excited and all, but once they settle down and start to think about it, they do well above the average shooter.

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Never met any decent clay shooter, even trap shooters, that were “bad” wing shots, just some that were nowhere near as good of a shot on birds as they were on clays. I find ducks much easier to kill than clays personally, but I’ve been shooting ducks for 25 years, clays for 4, so that’s probably why.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

No point arguing with ol blow hard. No matter what you say he will find a way to chastise you unless you 100% bow to him. Been there. I just do what I do and the naysayers can pound sand if they don't like it.

I 100% agree with you about the vast majority of hunters being poor shots.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Hey Billy Bob , the only disagreement we've had is you shooting shot sizes about the size of your brain.....nothing else would jeopardize our friendship !
    I do like debating your success , though ?

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Well after all this discussion... The 20 gauge I had on order was not coming in as none were available through the shops wholesaler at the moment.... So I paid for a 12 gauge yesterday..... I may order the 20 later when one comes available.

8. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the 12 and I pity the ducks that skirt your decoys.

5 stand and Fowler267 like this.
  9. Hellbender

Hellbender Elite Refuge Member

(old thread, I know). Don't underestimate the mouse cannon. Reloaded to its potential can put the smackdown on anything that flies. Get in a group of wildcatters and spend a few bucks on lab testing. Dig around the internet enough and you might find recipes like the Lauren 383 Hevi-Shot (mod) load and others that will hang with whatever is in your blind.