28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

Shot material is more important than the size or the speed of the shot. Penetration is more important than energy is. Most of the bigger steel shot sizes have a fair amount of energy but they don't penetrate very good because they have a very large diameter and is not nearly as dense as HW13 shot is..

1-3/8 oz of steel #2 shot at 1500 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards and has 170 pellets in 1-3/8 oz.
    1 oz of HW13 #6 shot at 1250 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 53.8 yards and has 206 pellets in 1 oz.

KillerKowalski likes this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It does relate to total energy of the load.
    If the percentage of total energy of the payload is a constant on the bird, I'd rather have that constant percentage of a larger payload than of a smaller payload.
    Individual pellet energy is one thing, total energy on the bird is another.
    There's more than one way to look at shotgun performance.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Jeez....

When the individual pellet carries its' energy further, it is able to impart it upon the bird when it hits it. If it runs out of energy at the point of impact, how much it started with doesn't matter anymore.

4. derbyacresbob

A 1/2 oz load of TSS #9 shot at 1200 fps will kill more ducks at 30 yards than a 1500 fps 2-1/2 oz load of feathers will. The feathers weigh 5 times more but they lose their speed much faster than the TSS #9 shot does.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I gave up shooting feathers years ago, they make to much of a mess..:l

Tuleman likes this.
  6. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Clearly you haven't tried it with a 28 and the higher density shot.

Is a 28 the equal of a 12 with steel shot? No, not even close. That isn't what we are talking about here.

KillerKowalski and JFG like this.
  7. derbyacresbob

Shotgun pellets need to penetrate to consistently make clean kills. For the bigger lower density shot types like steel shot it takes way more energy to get the bigger diameter pellets to penetrate.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
    A 1-3/8 oz 1500 fps load of steel #2 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards and has 170 pellets in 1-3/8 oz of shot. It took 3.34 lbs of energy for the steel #2 shot to penetrate 1.50" into the gel.
    A 7/8 oz 1250 fps load of FHW 15g/cc #7 shot gets 2.19" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards and has 192 pellets in 7/8 oz of shot. It took 2.03 lbs of energy for the FHW 15g/cc #7 shot to penetrate 2.19" into the gel.

So the FHW #7 shot penetrated .69" deeper with 1.31 lbs less energy per pellet. If each load hit a bird with 10% of the shot that would be 17 #2 steel pellets and 19 FHW #7 pellets.

Total penetration for the harder kicking and faster 1-3/8 oz #2 steel shot,1500 fps load would be 25.5" of total penetration.
    Total penetration for the lighter, slower but denser FHW 7/8 oz #7 FHW shot, 1250 fps load would be 41.61" of total penetration.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been a fan of the 28 for quite some time. Doves hate me. The ducks I’ve hunted with it don’t like me either. Bottom line the 28 kills. If you have to shoot 1 1/4oz. loads to kill, fine no problem. It’s all about confidence. I’m confident with a 7/8th oz. load of HW 6’s. Put it on them, they die. Guys I hunt with never question it’s lethality. Results have meaning.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Clearly I have not. And I don't intend to. Don't need the additional challenge.

You're right; we're not.

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I have a CZ ringneck 28ga. I've shot a couple dozen ducks with it including late season mallards and redheads. I use the factory IM and F chokes with federal steel 6s. It's been an awesome gun out to 35 yards on ducks. I shot a 22lb Turkey at 13 yards with lead 6s. Plus a crow and a couple pheasants. And a couple hundred pigeons with steel 6s and 7s. The steel 6s are much better.

Personally I never felt I needed anything but steel 6s in the 28ga.

Fowler267 likes this.