28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Mack's Prairie Wings has hevi shot classic doubles with 5/8oz of 4 or 5 shot and hevi shot duck 3/4oz of 4's or 6's in stock. The classic doubles may be an occasional option when I find a 28.

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

3/8 ounce 6s out if the 410 have been known to kill a couple cans and a few blueys.

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

02B04041-05F6-4937-B6CE-753CB1D4E45E.jpeg

Two geese one shot, about 20 yards, .410, with Winchester 3/8oz steel 6s.

I tried using bismuth 4s and Heavy shot classic doubles 4s in the .410, both were terrible. I missed geese at 15 yards because the patterns were terrible with those shells.

spaightlabs likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It's a shame some of these guys don't reload, I know you and I could make a 12 gauge steel load that has just as little recoil as a 28 gauge.
    It is what it is I guess.

KillerKowalski likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

I don't feel confident or comfortable with reloading and certainly do not have the knowledge to develop a low recoil load.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's right Joe , it doesn't take much " Knowledge" to learn how to reload and as far as , What to reload , there're recipe manuals and home brews
    galore.....It's with experience we learn what "REALLY" works and what cripples birds that we try to share as sportsmen but some heads are harder than
    TSS......if you know , what I mean ?

Velosity determines distance , shot size/density is what controls penetration .
    The faster you push steel shot , the faster it slows down.....:amen:yes

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    spaightlabs likes this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

In sub gauge a well balanced and fitted double barrel in 28 gauge or 410 will shoot softly.

8. 10GAGENUT

That's personnel preference and understandable. There is plenty of low recoil load data published already so you wouldn't have to develop a lot , just try it.

9. Billy Bob

The question is, how much, if anything would I gain over the .410 or 28 in 7.5-8 pound semi autos and still maintain the low level of recoil? The low recoil is the most important thing to me. The way I see it is if I am limited to 15 yards of range it's still better than hunting with a bow.

I am willing to listen because you have knowledge on the subject. Just know that I want to minimize the chance of a detached retina as much as possible. Recoil pads and the like will not work, the problem is the contact between the cheek and the stock.

10. 10GAGENUT

In a 12 gauge these days 7.5 to 8 lbs is not always the case, a 3" SX3 weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs, true many 28 gauge guns weigh in at 5 1/2 lbs but comparing that to your 1100 in 28 gauge which weighs in at 6 1/2 lbs there's not much difference there.
    The other thing is while some of these Tungsten and even steel shot loads for the 28 are fantastic today, what's not being said is many of these loads are at maximum pressures for the 28 and aren't really considered Low Recoil per say, they will have less recoil than a maximum pressure 12 gauge load for sure.
    You already stated that your not interested in reloading, fine and again personnel choice, so now your stuck with what's available on the shelves for the 28 which is a drop in the bucket compared to 12 gauge loads, if you noticed a good portion of the guys that have been commenting also load for the 28, I would to if I shot one.
    I'm not say the small gauges won't work for you or aren't fun to shoot, I shot the crap out of my 1100 in .410 gauge years ago and had fun doing it. All I'm stating is don't box yourself in with a gun that is marginal or you can't get the loads you want for it IMO that would be extremely frustrating, with a 12 gauge your basically loading a 2 3/4" shell down (reducing) to get the recoil you desire which isn't all that hard to do you can just as easily go the other way with one also, with the 28 your going to need quite a bit from your loads to get duck killing performance equal to even reduced 12 gauge 2 3/4 " loads.
    Your choice and enjoy what you buy, I love shooting my 16 gauge for ducks however right beside me in the blind is a 10 or 12 gauge ready to go to work if I need it.