28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Then don't mount the gun to your shoulder. Palm the butt in your left hand holding the gun as if you were trying to shoot a bird to your right almost behind you. Me and a cousin of mine have shot many this way back when we were jump shooting out of pirogues. With a little bit of practice it gets easier than you might think.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

There seem to be endless things to consider. I have been looking at the load weights and velocities a lot a well as the weight of different gas operated guns. In many cases the Rem 1100 is the clear winner for both weight and how the gas system helps absorb recoil. One of the concerns I have with using a 12 is that at a certain point loads won't cycle the action anymore. Not a critical factor but I would think that would negate the effect of the gas system bleeding off some of the pressure and then I would be left with just the weight of the gun to reduce recoil and may be better off with a heavy SXS. I also think of things such as how does bore diameter effect recoil? Example, a 1oz load at 1300 in a 12 and 20, not that I would shoot a 1oz load in a 20 thinking it would be low recoil. Another thought has been how does chamber/hull length effect pressures? Would there be a difference between 2 3/4" and 3" in a load of the same weight and velocity? I haven't found any solid info on those things. Having only a basic idea of things, going with lower velocities and light shot charges recoil less is where I am at.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Usually the larger the bore diameter the less felt recoil there is with the same weight payload, example would be a 1 1/2 oz load in a 10 gauge and a 1 1/2 oz load in a 12 gauge. Because of the larger bore a 1 1/2 oz load in a 10 is considered a light load in a 12 it's considered a middle weight to heavy load depending on if your shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells.
    I keep thinking some like 7/8 - 1 oz 12 gauge loads would even work for you, I know you can shoot 7/8 oz steel loads that have little to no felt recoil at all, but there goes the reloading thing again.
    That's the bad part about using factory ammo, in the factories minds everybody seems to need super magnum waterfowl loads to shoot every thing.

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Not in the factories minds it's in the shooter's mind. Factories only make what sells.

5. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

Thanks, but unfortunately none of the 28 gauge that Macks sells is true tungsten. It's all blended.

6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

The Hevi-Shot Duck or Goose tungsten alloy shot is right at 12g/cc is about 10% denser than lead and it costs right at half as much as the TSS 18g/cc shot does.

The 12g/cc Hevi-Shot Duck and Goose loads work much better than lead shot does and out performs steel shot by a long ways.

The TSS 18g/cc shot works unbelievably good and is about 55% denser than lead, but it costs around $2.81 per ounce, you can buy HW13 shot that is right at 12g/cc for around $1.53 per ounce.

HW13 shot and Hevi-Shot Duck and Goose shot are not pure tungsten but they do out perform lead shot by quite a bit.

The Hevi-Metal and Hevi-X Tungsten loads are denser than steel and are not in the same league as the 12g/cc shot that is denser than lead.

KillerKowalski likes this.
  7. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Probably right, I beleive if the factories offered lighter 12 gauge 1 oz and 7/8 oz duck loads people might actually buy them.

8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

All good recommendations for shot types, but there goes the reloading thing again which he said he really didn't want to do.

CSUguy likes this.
  9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Kinda explains what works best in small shot sizes , for the reloader ! Steel shot in 7/8 oz loads with 46 pellets of T's will kill Big Honks way out there !
    7/8 oz of 3's over 30 grains of A Steel will kill'em inside the decoys just fine but you have to chew softly !

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Years ago Peterson's HUNTING magazine wrote that the 28 was the ideal Dove round. My buddy shoots Sporting Clays with a K80 w/28 ga. bbl.s and he does pretty damn good- no 50 yd. crosser's, tho.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019