28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

On your recommendation I changed shot sizes in the game and target loads. It worked very well. It was exactly like shooting a 3" 1oz 20 gauge but with slightly better patterns. I am just hoping to find something with even less recoil.

If I had someone to learn reloading from I would be more open to it. The only experience I have in reloading is making generic 2 3/4" 1oz lead 20 gauge with a Lee loader and later an MEC, something just about any idiot could do and that was over 20 years ago.

I believe you understand what I am looking for but most seem to be much more worried about me being able to kill a duck at 30-50 yards than I am. All I am wanting is something to kill 15-30 yard pin/wig/teal with like I do now but with the least amount of recoil possible. That is why the game and target loads worked so well even when I didn't switch out the shot sizes and just used the 6's. I rarely take shots outside of 30 yards now and have no desire to start doing that again and wouldn't even if I didn't have eye problems. The quality of hunting here will still allow me to kill a more than decent number of birds.

It's better to only have a chance for 1 point blank range shot with a gun in a day than to hunt with a bow again or just give up hunting. Some of the people reading this need to stop and let that sink in before being so critical.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    bill cooksey likes this.
  2. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If I had people interested I could make a thread with pictures on how to reload steel, plenty of guys on here that could jump in and offer good advice also.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Reloading really isn't very difficult. I'd give it a try. Unless you find that you really are satisfied with the factory options.

4. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Billy Bob. If I understand what you are saying it's the jolt to your eye passed from the stock to your cheek and without the cheek contact you would be ok. An A-5 Light 20 with the 22" Invector choked barrel could be carried and shot like a pistol all day long. Good enough 2 3/4" steel factory loads available for anything inside the ranges you are talking about.

5. Billy Bob

You understand correct. Anyone with retina damage is under the same risk. I have thought of many things such as not putting my cheek to the stalk and shooting head up. I hesitate to do anything like that because I would likely wound many birds that way that would require kill shots, defeating the purpose of shooting without my cheek on the stock. No matter what many want to think, I kill my birds at in your face ranges where just about anything will work and kill the birds DRT, including the game and target 6's that cause such negative reactions on this board.

6. Billy Bob

The thing that bothers me the most about reloading is hand measuring each shot and powder charge and my ability to be consistent. I really believe I can get it done with the factory steel even with a 28 and most likely with the .410 with some added shot discipline. I won't know until I try them but at the ranges I shoot it is very probable.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  7. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Go with the factory ammo option first since that seems like the best option for you, then if that doesn't work for you can try to load your own if you want. As far as being consistent with dropping shot or powder it's not that hard just time consuming but you get in a rhythm after a while and it goes faster for you.

8. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

Do you have any physical limitations to shooting a heavy gun? You need weight to eat up that recoil.
    If it was me I would buy a 20 gauge 1100 so you get a bigger bore diameter for better patterns and shoot 5/8 ounce loads of hevishot 6’s.
    You would need to have the ports opened up to get good cycling of the action. I would then add weight until it was about 9 to 9.5 pounds. You would have very little to no recoil.

Pretend it’s a 12 gauge and shoot ducks as you would normally. Enjoy life.

BTW Reloading is not particularly difficult. It’s about the same as following the directions of making muffins.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. Billy Bob

I plan on shooting ducks as I do normally, under 30 yards.

I will possibly add weight to the guns I have now.

I can not for the life of me figure out why I would need to or want to shoot 5/8oz hevi shot 6's from a 20 gauge at birds under 30 yards when I already kill them at the same ranges with 1oz of steel 4's and 6's. :scratch 5/8oz of steel would be enough pellets to get it done. (120-4's, 151-5's, 196-6's in a 5/8oz load) Some form of tungsten shot in 8's or 9's may be an option for the .410 and maybe a 1/2oz load for a 28 to raise the pellet count in both.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Some Fellas become more educated reading how many pellets there are in certain weights in loads , if , they would continue reading a little farther they
    would understand what it takes to get a more humane pattern out of individual gauges of shotguns ? The fellas that have this knowledge usually become
    reloaders , knowing they can produce ammo better than factory and more to their needs by adjusting the velosity , psi and recoil of their loads .

Eventually , some will become fun to converse with once they understand 30 yds
    with 5's or smaller shot in steel.....just cripples birds in most cases .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    derbyacresbob likes this.