eilros

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/?id=20992

Officials: Hunters possess 300 ducks

By Tom Pantera
[email protected]
The Forum - 10/18/2002

Federal and North Dakota wildlife officials are investigating three out-of-state hunters who were found Tuesday with up to 300 duck carcasses.

Bruce Burkett, state game warden supervisor, said three out-of-state men were found with a large amount of frozen meat in a vehicle after being stopped early Tuesday at the Carrington Stop-N-Go.

Burkett said he couldn’t say exactly how many birds the hunters had, but it was “a significant quantity.”

Carrington Police Officer Charles Zink said officials estimated the three had 250 to 300 birds in their possession.

The daily limit is six ducks, with a maximum of 12 in possession per hunter, Burkett said. He said the investigation resulted from a tip.

Nobody has been charged in the case. Since it was a joint state-federal investigation, criminal charges are likely to come in federal court, Burkett said.

Rich Grosz, special agent for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said the hunters could be charged with violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

That act doesn’t set bag limits, but offers maximum limits states must follow, Grosz said.

Burkett said if the hunters are arrested and convicted, they could face losing their vehicles and guns under state law.

im4dux2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It is funny how small town news travels fast...I am going to Carrington this weekend and my buddy called me from ND to say that those guys got busted...I used to hunt the slough that these poachers were hunting on (bast***ds!!)...One other note, big brother is watching it is not worth the risk!!!

clarkend

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hope they nail those ***holes to the wall! Take their guns, vehicles, decoys, etc....and revoke all hunting privileges. Make an example out of them!!

tsodak

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you whats disturbing. These guys thought they were ogint to get away with this. What a bunch of idiots. How many guys are smarter than this out there. Evidently about the killing is all, so why not just leave em lay??? No evidence in town then. I just cant imagine such a thing, and hope that it is not any more pervasive than this. Tom

professor

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We ate most of ours, and gave some to farmers. I agree with Dirtwater...Hang-em! All us NR's aren't like that, and those criminals give all of us a black-eye.
Professor

NDTerminator

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Quite correct, not all NR are like this. At the risk of offending some NR out there, I'll be my brutally honest self and say out loud that guys shooting 100+ birds each while hunting here is not uncommon, and we all know it. These dumb asses chose to freeze rather than eat or process the birds. Back when I lived in Minn in the 70's, we would come over & hunt ND. At that time, you were issued a book of serial numbered tags with your NR license. Each bird had to be tagged, when you ran out of tags you were done. Seems to me it was 20 ducks, 10 geese, and I can't remember the numbers related to the upland stuff. I liked it, it was a good system and you knew where you stood. Seems quite unrealistic to me to have guys come up here from all over the country, spend 7 to 14 days hunting, and take home only 12 birds. BTW, District G&F Supervisor Burkett (Captain25) is very good at his job, and no one to underestimate (I don't speak this compliment lightly, I'm a 26 year veteran of law enforcement and not easily impressed). This isn't the first pinch of the year for him, just the biggest. Good job to you & your guys, Bruce...

captain25

Refuge Member
Reaction score
As you can see I was quoted in the news story that appears at the top of this thread. While the story is somewhat incomplete out of necessity for the investigation, all I will add is STAY TUNED......

As for nonresidents coming here and killing 100 birds or more for the season obviously that would be illegal. 14X6=84; given that at no time during the hunters stay he or she has over 12 birds in possession or control (including storage at any place)(including his residence back home). Possession is Federal limit and crosses state boundaries. I would guess that 30-40 percent of the Non resident hunters have taken the 7 day statewide option. So to be able to take a limit every day, the birds would have to be disposed of lawfully (hopefully by consumption or gifting which is another topic) to remain within the restrictions especially pintails. Only Canadian taken birds do not count on a US possession as they have been declared when passing thru Customs. If every hunter out there killed a limit every day they hunted we would have to have a daily limit of 2 or 3 birds or we would runout!!!

One other note....during our surveilance of these individuals, 3 LADS ( 2 under the age of 18) decided to sneak in the dark and steal decoys from a boat and trailer at one of the motels right in front of us. As they made their retreat I had one of my guys get in behind them....and the chase was on. He pushed them into the waiting arms of a State trooper who happened to be in the right place too. We recovered decoys plus a garage full of previously stolen decoys and hunting items.
About $2000 worth of stuff.

We do win once in awhile!!!

Later..

Dirtwater

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Congratulations .....Captain25....way to go....

Dirtwater

Now hang 'em

Catdaddy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good job Captain25, hope they get sent to Guantanamo!

What state were they from if you can say?

Thanks,
Catdaddy