3 Splash Proposal & Hunter Participation

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Traxion, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

https://gfp.sd.gov/UserDocs/nav/10_PRO1_2021_Duck_3_Splash.pdf

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I am not against it, if it recruits more hunters great. But, I feel waterfowl ID is a required part of the hunting experience, no different than whitetail vs. muley or does vs. buck. It's just a product of society not wanting to learn or do something hard.....the easy button. But, like I said, if it allows more folks to hunt waterfowl, great. I personally don't feel like waterfowl ID is the most significant issue in hunter recruitment. Cost of entry is a big one. Then add in access issues, which is exacerbated by the shift to field hunting. Those two alone keep more folks from hunting than anything else. But I am curious to see how it pans out, hope it passes.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Would never be interested in it.

3. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

Does 3 splash mean 3 dead birds or 3 successful shooting events at a group of ducks?

4. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Is duck ID that much of a deterrent??

I guess I don't know anybody on the fence about duck hunting and this being an issue.

5. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Another waste of SD GFP time and money spent on micormanaging waterfowl hunting in SD. Surveys over the last 15 years have shown the number one factor in retaining waterfowl hunters in SD is land access. I would be willing to bet they sell less than 100 of these 3 splash licenses. It is also just another law for COs to enforce

Juvie Juke Box and Zane like this.
  6. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

One of the dumber things I've seen proposed. Number of hunters may be technically going down but the people who are still hunting aren't your couple weekend a year fair weather hunters most are every weekend and multiple days a week hunters.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    woodiefanatic likes this.
  7. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

Pathetic! Barrier to entry of duck hunting is an inability to identify a duck on the wing? Never heard of such tripe. The SD GFP must really be desperate to sell more licenses. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel on ideas to pimp more licenses.

Duck hunting... you can't talk somebody into it and and you can't talk somebody out of it. You either love the sunrises with your dog and some buddies or not. Three splash rules isn't going to recruit anybody.

I totally agree with the gentleman that referenced access as one of the biggest barriers.

8. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I don't see how their "surveys" point to waterfowl ID as a barrier to entry into the sport? Land access is certainly a huge issue, though as I said I attribute much of that to field hunting. You can still find plenty of water to hunt in most places, though there are some crowded times. However, field hunting brings out the most access issues bar none. Usually the best field hunting is in a small window that lots of folks target anymore.

I will be curious to see how many actually choose that option?

And I do agree they are trying to sell more licenses at any cost. They're pretty much going free for all on reducing regulations IF they can get more revenue from the change.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

We have no limits on species or sex up here. Never have had for 30 years. Makes it easier for new hunters to the sport. They can become more proficient in identifying birds as their experience and confidence grows. At that point, they can switch to the other license type. A little different up here as most ducks are brown for the first 4-6 weeks of the season. I'd rather see a 3 bird limit than have someone stomp a bird into the mud because of a bad of.

10. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I had some good back and forth with both GFP waterfowl biologists and USFWS biologists in January regarding the 3 splash proposal. My simple opinion is "why not?"
    What does it hurt to try something new for 2 years? There will be surveys, parts collections, etc. to determine the effectiveness as well as the impact there is to restricted bag limit species like cans & pintails. We all know access is an issue. But lets be honest...there are a lot of rules when it comes to waterfowling, and it takes time to learn to ID ducks on the wing. There's a lot less kids out there growing up with dads and grandpas and uncles who are involved in waterfowling. I hate competition, I hate getting beat to spots, and I hate when people don't know what they are doing in the slough or field. But lets face it...our numbers are dropping, and without recruitment, we lose our voice when it comes to issues affecting us. At some point hunter numbers & duck production numbers are going to drop off to the point where we'll be at a 3 or 4 splash rule for everybody in the flyway. My first year of waterfowling was the last year of the 3 bird 30 day season in MN. Some don't know anything but 6 bird seasons.