30-30 rifle thoughts, reviews

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 24, 2020.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Safety harness is your friend!

Also I've probably killed more deer with a shotgun and copperplated 00 buck out of a treestand than any other way.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

With or without dogs?

I don't think too much of the country has an understanding of hunting South Eastern Va

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Some info I read, states that a 30-30 has about 200lbs more energy, than a 250gr 20 gauge slug, at 100 yards.

Waxed Canvas likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I've killed maybe 5-6 in front of dogs but I was standing on the ground for all of those.
    I would extend much of what I think you are talking about in regards to deer hunting in VA to NC & SC too. There are some dedicated dog hunters in both of those states and probably across alot of the south I would think. Where I live you can't even hunt with a rifle so its always been shotguns with buckshot or slugs. I always shot buckshot, specifically copperplated 00 buck, never killed one with a slug. I haven't deer hunted around here in probably 15 years or more until this past year when a friend gave me free reign on his 100 or so acres. At some point in the break I took from deer hunting we got a late black powder season so I bought one to extend my deer hunting. I did kill a big doe with it. About 10 years ago I started going to SC and spending about a week hanging out with my cousin and deer hunting in late Oct early Nov. Down there it was always sitting over a corn pile with my .270. I killed probably half a dozen in the 4-5 trips I made. I am a wing shooter at heart so I've always been more comfortable with a shotgun in my hands. I love watching a deer pile up after it catches a load of buckshot when it come running by!

6. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

20ga ? WHY ?

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

BIL was on a deer lease near Tuscaloosa some seasons ago and brought back two separate batches of venison. Patty cooked two of the roasts with each in separate vessels. One was some of the best venison ever and the other tasted like it had been marinated in Geritol for a week. The first was from a buck Jim had jumped out of its bed and shot immediately. The other was from a buck the hounds had run for a distance. Apparently, the adrenaline was totally saturated throughout the muscle tissue. Hounds for deer hunting? No thanks.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Why not? Lighter to carry, less recoil, does the job if you do yours.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

10. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

243 is another good caliber if ur taking deer under 200-250 yards so under a 100 throw a 100grain bullet in a .243 it folds em I killed alot of deer with a .243