$400 Cooler vs $50 Cooler

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 26, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Besides the price, anyone ever wonder what the inside of a $400 Yeti cooler and a $50 cooler?

I did... :scratch

2. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

So just buy a Coleman extreme and spray foam the lid still have less than 100 in a cooler and no one will try to steal it out of your truck or boat.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. MJ

I purchased any Yeti products but I have a few items that were given to me.

I do have a few Rtic coolers that I had when Yeti won their lawsuit against Rtic. They had a fire sale so I picked up a few when they were reasonably priced.

I just got an "up to 70% off" Labor Day sale on Rtic products. When I read the fine print it actually said "70% off vs the competition." That is a ridiculous way to advertise in my opinion.

10GAGENUT and Dale like this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The Coleman MaxCold coolers I have do a good job. No doubt the YETI, RTIC and similar designs would do better but not sure it is worth the cost. I am never in a situation where a refresh of ice is not possible.

5. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

My son did a test at his store and the ice in the Yeti lasted 7 days ,2 days the water was still cold.Do I need a week of ice,no,but if I ever NEED that I will get one with his discount of course.

6. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I've had excellent results with Igloo coolers, no way I'm spending $$$$$$$ for a name. Ice is cheap!

Vammy and MJ like this.
  7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Block ice works great in the cheaper line of coolers. Need ice for a campfire cocktail, knife off a piece...good to go. :tu

MJ and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  8. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

This is what happens when millennials breed. You need to look at their Yeti vs Rtic vs a couple of other cooler cups test. They put ice and water in the cooler cups and put them in a 325 degree oven as a test. They were surprised when the PLASTIC cup melted, and really surprised when the Rtic lid warped. Real Einsteins here.
    Maybe they should do the 325 degree oven test on a styrofoam cup and a Solo cup and see which holds up better. Morons!

9. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member

I have a yeti cooler. I got it 60% off. It works great and is heavy as hell. I have a huge MaxCold. It works well, but the clasp broke off when the kid shut by accident. It was $100. I got the Yeti (smaller than the MaxCold by a lot), a divider and basket for $160. They both have their purpose, but the Yeti keeps ice longer for sure and is far more durable.

I bought my parents a soft side RTIC for the beach and it’s the best cooler I’ve ever used. It’s lasted four beach trips carrying a case of beer and ice everyday for two weeks. It’s light when empty but can handle a lot of weight. And it’s built extremely well.

Every time I drink a beer without my Yeti koozie, I feel like I’m drinking out of a thimble. It feels weird without it. And it works great. Same with tumblers, although the tumblers we bought at Sam’s Club work just as well, came with a lid that closes and we got two for $20.

goosenazi and MJ like this.
  10. MJ

Ice is cheap until you find yourself 100 miles away from a store to buy it and you have an elk to ice down. But I completely understand your point. I won't pay for that Yeti label either.

I have a 5 cubic foot freezer and a 10 cubic foot freezer. Depending on what big game we're hunting we take one or the other along with a generator. A boned out elk will fit in a 5 cu foot freezer. Three boned out elk will fit in a 10 cubic foot freezer. Ask me how I know. ;)

The generator was $800. The freezers were a combined total of $400. The cost of enough Yeti coolers to hold an elk (or three) would be more than $1200, not to mention the amount of ice I would need.

10GAGENUT, JRS and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.