$400 Cooler vs $50 Cooler

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Block of ice in a Yeti or similar will work incredibly well I bought some of these off amazon and they work great. Just refreeze them when done and use them for next time. I can fit three of these and 45 beers in my Yeti and not need ice for a three day weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Large-C...ocphy=9027266&hvtargid=pla-350277195109&psc=1

2. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I picked up the 65 quart RTIC for 140$ shipped to my house. Where these types of coolers really excel is traveling for longer periods of time. If I'm living out of a cooler for 3-7 days it saves a bunch of money on ice. And its a frigging tank. No way I'll need another cooler for 20-30 years. Granted it takes two guys to lift it into the truck when its full, but it does the job it was purchased for.

SB2MAG, goosenazi and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  3. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I never would’ve bought a Yeti if I didn’t get the employee pricing for 60% off. I was looking at RTIC or Bison or similar that are half off. I haven’t regretted buying a roto-molded cooler at all, and I want to buy a soft side one too.

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Started using the freezer trick a few years ago. Only problem is the jigsaw puzzle created if you need to unpack the freezer to put it on a truck, then reload it. But you can drive 40 hours with a freezer lid taped shut and everything stay frozen solid. Always added a few blocks of dry ice to the top, but I doubt it was needed. This is after archery. When your driving through 90 degree days.

5. pud123

I have the RTIC soft sided and cannot recommend it enough. Thing sits in my truck during a full tournament day of fishing when its 85 degrees out. After 10+ hours hardly any ice has melted, and the beer is so cold it hurts your teeth to drink it. Best birthday present I've gotten since that lap dance when I turned 21.

6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

As far as the knock offs go I have the $100 lifetime cooler from walmart. Was hard to spend 100 on a cooler but Im not disappointed with it.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Bought an Ozark Mountain (Wally World Yeti knockoff). It works great, crushed ice lasted 6 days in the sun icing down beer and soda. Just got back from a week at deer camp (50 miles to replenish ice) mid 80's every day, 4 blocks of ice were four 1/2 blocks of ice after 6 days! My Coleman's won't do that!!

8. pud123

Got a buddy with one of these. Hard to beat for the price. Performs great.

9. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Have a bunch of Yeti stuff, everything works well, no complaints. My Coleman extreme has been around the block a few times too, but I never realized the top was not insulated. Why the hal would they do that? Is insulation so expensive, they couldn't add an inch? I'm def gonna spray foam that puppy asap.

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

newduk likes this.