$400 Cooler vs $50 Cooler

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 26, 2019.

1. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

On a trip now, with my Coleman. Can't wait to get home and do this. As for Bears, I hope they like cheap beer.

MJ likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Learn about these.....
    upload_2019-8-26_20-58-21.jpeg

You can buy them dry, or filled (get the dry ones) They have the gel stuff in them, but they are cheaper to ship dry. You put in a measured amount of water, and put em in the freezer.
    They are not overly expensive, lay flat in the freezer, and they are tough. I have used em for 3-4 years now.
    They get VERY cold. I put two of em in a soft sided cooler I carry my drinks in, with 4 pepsi cans on the bottom, two Shocks on top. When I went to get my pepsi 7 hours later, they were all frozen (so be careful how you use em)

I also use them for my concession trailer. I can pack the 3 ice chests the day before, and lay 3-4 packs on top. Cools the entire contents overnight (I am packing about 6 doz cans, and 2 cases of water in my chests) Then, when I am ready to go to the event, I take the old ones out (still pretty cold) put in my ice (customers love their drinks in ice) and cover them again with some more packs. My coolers are out in the sun for several hours before the events start, and I have zero ice loss. Usually, the top layer of water bottles are actually slushy.

And yes, there are other choices, and I have used a lot of other types, but these are by FAR the best. Coldest, longest lasting, don't take up much room for how they perform, and zero water in the cooler.

duck dawg, 3labman and MJ like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

@Native NV Ducker I can't seem to find the 9 packs, where did you find that add?
    I remember you talking about these a few months ago and I looked for them around town with no luck. After our last camping trip, and buying ice for 3 coolers for a week in 100*+ temps, I'm ready to try these things out. I have a freezer to recharge them in our 5th wheel, so these should work great.
    Thank you.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Before all these fancy coolers came on the market how do you think the old timers did it back in the day?? Dry Ice will last 9 -12 days in most coolers if it's wrapped properly. I've packed Walleye fillets given to me by a friend in a dry ice cooler and finally got them home after 5 days in summer heat, still frozen solid.
    Back in the day people just found different ways of doing things and they still work today.

Sprig Hunter likes this.
  5. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Got two of the Ozark Trail coolers for the boat. Been a hot summer and they worked great. Nice hard kids on them make for extra seating too. Well worth the money.

6. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

My buddy built a cooler for hauling moose, elk, deer, whatever. It's pretty big maybe 3 ft wide by 6 feet long by 4 feet high, not sure exactly, 1 processed moose will fit in so it's big. Outside is pressure treated plywood, inside is two layers of styrofoam sm blue stuff so 2 inch, 4 inches total. I think he mostly glued the stuff together, might be a few bolts here and there. Built it 10 years ago and still going strong, couple block ice good to go. Not sure cost guess could look but my guess is $250

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I still contend that for that type of use in most cases a 12v fridge is the way to go. They're excellent for that type of use.

8. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

I bought the RTIC 65 when Yeti sued RTIC and they had to sell off things and redesign. Love it and it works great for weekend softball tourneys for tailgating. I ice it down on Friday and by Sunday everything is still good to go. Damn thing is heavy as hell when its full though. I picked up a soft sided RTIC 30 to take to the softball field and it has held up well also.

9. gregs

gregs Refuge Member

We bought the 100 qt Cabelas cooler a few years ago and couldn’t be more pleased with it. In July we were at camp for a week.

Cabelas cooler was sitting next to a igloo of the same size. We had to run to town three times for more ice for the igloo.

Cabelas cooler still had crushed ice in it when we unloaded it at home. Huge difference How long will it take to pay for itself at that rate ?

I already replaced the hinges on the igloo once. We are probably going to buy another Polar Cap in 80qt.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I was just looking for a good pic to pull from the net, and grabbed that one. Turns out it was from Coolershock.com. That was 9 10x14" for $123. You can do better.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Sho...=cooler+shock&qid=1566917060&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    Those are the same size, and 3 for $23, so 9 for $69.

As an aside, I recommend getting some smaller ones also. Sometimes they fit better, 2 large and 1 small fit perfect in my large cooler.

That is the perfect situation.
    When the event starts, I usually leave one on top of the drinks, the customers can work around them. I put the others in my fridge/freezer (where I keep my milk and mixes) so they sorta re-freeze again, and I put em back in the coolers overnight.

There are two types. One has a 'tube' you pour the water into via a funnel. The other is a 'zip top' that you pour the water into, zip close, then use an iron to double seal it. Both are fine. I think I like the zip tops better. The tube kinda sticks out, and I can see it taking some abuse and eventually failing.

The bags are pretty tough. Seems like an aluminum sheet with plastic sandwiched between layers. They do give and bend when not frozen, but not a lot.

callinfowl likes this.