$400 Cooler vs $50 Cooler

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 26, 2019.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

And millennials are what happened when the Boomers bred....:h

2. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Don't talk to me about Yeti coolers unless you live in the mid west and have a salt life sticker on your prius.

1duckmaster, drahthaarducker and RTIC like this.
  3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Well, I was in the sprayfoam business for 9 years (equipment manufacturer) and know a bit about it. Looking at the YETI vs. Coleman cross sections when sawed open, here are my observations:
    1) Thickness of the plastic on the outside and inside of coolers is immaterial to the issue of insulation. Durability, yes. Insulation, no.
    2) When the guys pushed their fingers into the foam it looks like the YETI did not deform as easily, meaning it is of higher density. The higher the density, the higher the R-Value, although the density looks close on the video.
    3) The major issue I see is the complete lack of foam on the lid of the Coleman vs. the thick foamed lid of the YETI. If you know anything about insulating houses, the ceiling (lid) is one of the most important areas to insulate well. A possible redneck fix would be to drill a couple of holes in the top of the Coleman, get some cans of Great Stuff from a home center and fill it up. Would probably improve the performance at a relatively minimal cost.

Is this difference worth $350? I guess that depends on whether you need the best performance cooler out there or something that works decently at a fraction of the cost.

4. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

All the old timers needed was a lake full of ice, a saw and some sawdust. Put block ice in "ice house" cover in sawdust and bam you have ice for the summer (yes the sawdust insulates and keeps the ice for an entire summer in the North country). You hear about a few outpost camps that used to do that but not sure there are many (if any) left. May have a few floaters in your cocktail glass but can work around that.

Maybe they should consider making a cooler with sawdust in the walls??? :) upload_2019-9-20_7-22-4.png

MJ likes this.
  5. Uncle Bubba

Uncle Bubba Senior Refuge Member

6. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

7. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Fits right in with the sitka fanboys.
    Amazing the amount that say,"it was a gift","bought it at a 75% sale",all to justify it.

Uncle Bubba likes this.
  8. CookMan

It is the cool azz millennial thing dude. MARKETING 101.. $400 Yeti coolers, white Costas, Bill hats, boats, trucks, DU Salt Life stickers in Nebraska, and square toed boots.

9. CookMan

That is actually very damn funny! Luv it.

Uncle Bubba and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I agree, my buddy's wife had to have one & I can't figure out why......