.410 for Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by skimerhorn, Jul 21, 2019.

1. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Senior Refuge Member

Anybody on here tried it yet? Thinking about picking up the new single shot saveag andoading with tss for next spring

2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

3. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I shot one this spring with a 3-inch .410 3/4-ounce No. 6 lead Federal Hi-Power shell. After shooting a few 25-yard patterns with the full choke, I decided I wanted him no farther than 20 yards and it all worked out one morning for me, not him!

If I was going to make a habit of shooting turkeys with a .410, I would probably look into using TSS.

Good luck! Hunt, 2019-4-7 (6).JPG

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

IndianCreek will have turkey chokes for the 410s in a month or 2. Nice thing about the TSS in 410's is they are patterning as good or better than when I started turkey hunting 20 years ago with the 12ga 3.5 turkey loads with lead. I make the (foxtrotammo)383 Stroker in 410 with 9's or 9.5's and they shoot good.

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve shot two turkeys with a .410. First my Mossberg pump .410 with full choke. Remington 2 1/2” lead 4s. Missed him on the first shot at seven yards. Got him with the second shot at 15. I didn’t pattern the gun so maybe that’s why I missed at seven yards.

With my New Haven bolt action fixed full choke, I spent a lot of time and money and eight different types of ammo trying to get a good 25 yard pattern. Remington 3” 5s worked the best at 25 yards. I missed a hen at 27 yards. Never touched a feather. I thought it was closer than that. But I did get a Jake at twenty yards.

28C20E5C-A745-4491-A5B0-C6FA91B197A9.jpeg

I’ve switch to Apex TSS 9.5s for my daughter. She didn’t have any luck this spring. Maybe this fall she’ll get one.

D97B17AA-1487-4A72-B959-62E7F2CA5906.jpeg

BTW, that’s 30 yards.

7. skiebuster

Apex has a new 410 that just debuted.. your gonna want to shoot it. Its on par with my Foxtrotammo 383 Stroker

8. skimerhorn

Well I got the steve a. 410 yesterday. Just need some tss and a red dot and well see how it does. Plan on just toting that next spring till I get a bird with it

Attached Files:

9. skiebuster

have 3 INV+ guns and will have the IndianCreek test chokes next week. I sent 2 Mossberg barrels to Sumtoy in Georgia and had William thread for INV+ and my motherinlaw bought me a BPS Micro Midas for my bday present. I will be doing a lot of shooting next week after my chokes arrive. IndianCreek stated to me that my loads were the most consistent of all the testing they done over a month period. (Foxtrotammo 383 Strokers) Average in the 170's in the 10 at 40 yards. soon as I get to shooting I will be posting up about it from the guns I have on hand

10. skimerhorn

That would be great. I was debating between foxtrot and apex