Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

.410 hunters?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jul 16, 2020.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

I'm sure some of you use a .410 - just curious what ones you like.

I went in the gun store a few months ago with the intent to buy a new Henry lever action .410 - just something to shoot starlings with around the place. It was like $700 bucks or something. While looking the gun counter guy said they had just gotten in a pump .410 on trade (Mossberg) and he had it for less than $300 bucks so I bought it.

It sat in the safe until the 4th of July when brother in-laws and nephews all got together to shoot some clays so I took it along. I loved that thing - it was great. I didn't want to spend a lot on yet another caliber so I thought I'd look to see if there were any cheaper semi-auto's and found a couple:

TriStar Viper G2
    Pointer Phenoma

Any yea's or nay's?

Dr Swane likes this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I looked at many makes and models and went with the Remington 1100. Not cheap at $1099 but by far the best handling. For me it was the right choice because it's now my main gun for everything from mourning doves to greenheads.

Bear and bustsducks like this.
  3. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

870 Wingmaster. I don't hunt ducks with it.....but a .410 timber hunt would be fun.

4. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I just inherited a Winchester Model 42...I’m planning at least one duck hunt with it this season.

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

The Tristar is a really fun gun. No complaints at about 6-7 boxes shot so far.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My son's sensei has bought a couple of the Tristars as seems to really like them. Not top of the line but a pretty good value.

7. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Next on my gun wish list is a Remington 1100 - 410. I think the extra money for quality is worth it over the Turkish gun.

I stumbled upon this Browning model 42 last summer. I paid to much but its mine and I love it. 20191030_163817.jpg

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

gorgeous

9. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I read that John Olin hunted the flooded timber around Stuttgart with a .410. He also always reserved room #410 at the hotel in Stuttgart. However, I doubt he used an 870...but who knows.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Cool gun. I like your boat. Kick arse machinery. But what about the silver color and hunting? Interesting registration number. You are number 4 in your state. How many boats are registered in Utah, I wonder. Got any more photos of your boat? (pant, pant,pant :h)