Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

.410 hunters?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jul 16, 2020.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I actually have both in 20 gauge,the Tri Star is average to above average,for the price.I dont shoot it much anymore as it has a 26 barrel and I like 28.
    The Pointer has only had 2 boxes through it but performed great so far.
    Take these guns for what they are ,inexpensive and as such probably need cleaning pretty often.

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have a beautiful little L.C. Smith .410 made in 1913 that I use for squirrels and rabbits. It had barely been used when I got it case color and bluing is still perfect and no pits in the barrels. It’s a great little double.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I bought a 20ga tristar setter last season hunted ducks doves squirrels and rabbits with it love... great ll over under for the price but I'm considering getting a tristar viper wood stock .410 to replace it... even tho my 20ga tristar had been a great gun I'm just leery with cheap double guns... but I havent had it a year yet... I want the .410 for rabbits and probably test it on ducks in small creeks

4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Looks to be an airboat?

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

An O/U or SxS .410 will be in my future. But TSS shells are spendy for ducks. Should do the job with ease though.

I “might” have killed my first ever duck with a Mossberg .410 bolt action. Back in the early 90’s. I say “might” as I’m sure 12y/o neighbor guy had no clue about steel shot vs lead shot, or that the duck season didn’t line up with the squirrel season. Have a feeling I wasn’t the only kid to water swat their first bird with that small little shotgun. Still has a place in the rack at my house.

JRS likes this.
  6. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

-----------
    Browning never made the Model 42. They make the BPS. Looks like a WINCHESTER Model 42 (.410 chambered version of the famous Model 12 pump) to me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    techfowl likes this.
  7. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I was forced to use a little youth Mossberg .410 pump for medical reasons on half a dozen hunts this past January. I found that Hevi Bismuth 6’s got the job done pretty well. I wrote my experiences up in the Refuge Storytellers thread at the top of this page.

Squaller and JRS like this.
  8. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Bwana1, bustsducks and GUNNERX2 like this.
  9. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

My wife & kids bought me this little Yildiz 410 for Christmas a few years back. If Academy Sports would ship one hear I'd have one in 28ga in a heartbeat.

I tried the 410's last season after reading about Billybobs success. I have to say it was alot of fun. My buddies were sceptical so I did solo hunts. I've loaded several boxes of shells preparing for this coming season.

It is a airboat & there is several hundred here in the state. You park the boat nowhere near where your hunting. Birds hate em. 20191105_172623.jpg

10. jjgoose

jjgoose Senior Refuge Member

I don't shoot it much, but I have an old hand me down Stevens single shot 410 that I occasionally shoot a few times. Was the gun I took my first squirrel with as a kid.