Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

.410 hunters?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jul 16, 2020.

1. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

In the 1990s, after Fabrique Nationale became owner of both Winchester and Browning brands, it had Miroku of Japan make a limited-edition series of Model 42s. About 6,000 were marketed in the 1991-1993 time period as Browning Model 42s, and only 850 were marked Winchester.

I stand corrected Big Daddy. Thanks-- A 6,000 Limited-Edition eh?

2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

You would think they’re a-lot more limited than 6k for the price they demand. Resale on any Mod 42 is just silly. I was offered a grand for the one I just inherited the day after I took possession.

Dr Swane likes this.
  3. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

Even @ low-ball price the Model 42 is easily worth $1K-- with that classic Model 12 Winchester-look. Miroku certainly builds high-quality firearms and has a good record of doing so for Browning over the years. The Miroku-made Browning BSS S/S shotguns certainly come to mind...
    I've got a Remington 870 Wingmaster in .410, 25" vent-rib barrel in the safe.

4. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Id suggest a old Steven's bolt action , missing the clip and a broken extracter. Add a rusted adjustable choke that was stuck between full and modified.
    I killed a lot of stuff with this exact setup . Still can picture the 1st wood duck i killed laying belly up . After finally figured out to shoot where they're going not where the were.
    Probably find one somewhere for 50 bucks or so .

5. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I couldn't afford a true blue Winchester model 42 with vent rib and checkered stock. I saw this one and jumped!

Drake91 likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You don't need TSS to kill ducks with a .410. The Federal 3" steel 6's killed mallards stone dead in the air out to 30 yards. Not a single cripple with them all season. I bought some bismuth 6's but didn't like them as much as the steel and the single cripple I had for all of last season came with the bismuth. TSS would be good for geese and maybe high wind days. I'm going to load some 8.5 or 9's to try in less than good conditions.

Dr Swane likes this.
  7. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I’m glad to hear that on the Fed 6’s. I picked up a case on sale.

I’m loading TSS #7 right now- I couldn’t resist the ballistics for geese.

What size bismuth did you shoot?
    (I was gonna play with 7/16 of #4)

dog duck gun and Dr Swane like this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

9/16 #6's @ 1300fps. 4's just don't have the pellet count in 9/16. The pattern gets so thin they end up having no more range than the 6's.

Choke those Feds tight. I used a Rem choke full. 18" pattern at 30 yards. They only have 118 pellets.

Dr Swane, JRS and Drake91 like this.
  9. oleww

oleww Senior Refuge Member

I reload for 410, so my preference is an browning citori OU so I don’t have to look for hulls. Those hulls are like gold, fetching upwards of 15 cents each.

If I was getting new, I’d look for an auto that also shoots 3”. My remmy shoots only 2.5”.

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Coast to Coast master mag .410. Basically a Mossberg.
    I’ve used it for snipe, pheasant, dove, ducks(mallards, bufflehead, teal, mergansers) geese, crows, pheasant, grouse, squirrel, rabbits, deer and Pigeons!!!

8667CB60-DDB6-41EF-AE29-026FBE824CA3.jpeg

B52BBE78-1DCB-4FE6-BA40-27A4E8DBF9BF.jpeg

Steel 6s is the the way to go for ducks and geese. Lead 6s for everything else. Except 4s for squirrels.

bustsducks likes this.