410 Steel load perfomance

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Joe Hunter, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I think you could do a lot better with a .410 than what was pictured, from my experience at 30 yards any shotgun in any gauge should do at least 50-60% patterns. But that's just been my experiences. As I remember and this was with lead loads the 1100 I had in .410 gauge with a fixed full barrel patterned very well for me, I never used it on ducks so I couldn't tell you how it performed on them.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The OP managed an average 55% in the 20" circle at 25 yards and around 75% in the 30". If I can get patterns like his I can make them work.

Mrs.10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

I don't care what gauge you are shooting # 6 steel is not a duck load. People claiming 30 yard kills with it can't judge distance. Their yards would have to be much closer to 1 foot than 3.

4. Billy Bob

Wrong. I set range stakes when I hunt, a bird laying by the 30 yard stake has been killed close to 30 yards. It takes less than 1 inch of penetration to kill wigeon and teal with head and neck hits. 6's have about 1 inch at 30 yards. The 6's aren't the problem we are discussing, been there done that in 100 threads here. Those threads always say I'm doing the impossible. :l

The pattern density is the problem. It's almost easy to get head/neck hits with a 1oz 12 gauge load containing 315 pellets, not so easy with a load containing 110 pellets. Looking for the distance that the pattern density is adequate with those 110 pellets and that is going to be less than 25 yards max, more likely closer to 20 yards.

5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

I tend to agree and usually won't use anything smaller than 4's on ducks, however it's hard to find steel 6's in very fast factory loads. I can keep 6's together to about 1600 fps and they do make a decent load at that speed if you want use them. 4's or 3's work better for my shooting situations and I don't have to load them up that fast.

6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Yeap and your not going to change the laws of physics no matter how hard you try. If anything I would go with HW13 or 15 in a .410 or 28 gauge, hard to find in factory loads if they are even made but probably your best option.
    Unfortunately and I know I sound like a broken record here, your other best option is load your own for your special needs in sub gage guns.

5 stand likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

There are a few factory loads for 28 at $450 for a 100 round case. 1 option for the .410 at $370 per case. I'm not that desperate. I've said this before, I just do not have the confidence in my ability to stay consistent measuring by hand. When I was weighing pellets to change out the shot size in the game and target loads they were never quite perfect. Possibly due to variations in the pellets? I really don't know but it makes me doubt my accuracy.

When I find the right deal on a 28 I know I can make the 5/8oz steel load work out to 30 yards. 120 #4 pellets would be more than enough at that range. The .410 is going to be a real challenge but I doubt anywhere near as challenging as using a recurve.

8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Wasn't you it was the pellets, all of them including Steel, Bismuth and HW have some variation in pellet weight, larger HW pellets can vary by as much as half a grain sometimes same with Bismuth, even cheaper lead shot varied a bit.
    I have a full bag and half bag of steel 3's that I weighed on three different scales and they all said the pellets weighed 3 grains, steel 3's are supposed to weigh around 2.8 grains per pellet, not off by a whole lot but I like them for the little bit of extra weight they have. Even powder beleive it or not varies in weight sometimes from Lot to Lot. Definitely not you.
    Not to trying and blow the wind out of your sails but the prices you mentioned for I guess HW loads, you can load the same thing yourself for about 1/3 to 1 /2 the price.

9. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Here are some 3-inch .410 3/4-ounce No. 6 lead load patterns with the same gun. Obviously, these lead loads provide much better pattern density and pellet energy than the steel loads.

Patterning results from a Huglu O/U .410 with 28" barrels and F/F chokes (patterns average of five, post-shot scribed 20” and 30” circles, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

410 3" FEDERAL HI-POWER LOAD (old)
    3/4 oz #6 lead (168 pellets) (paper hull, card wad, no shot cup)

25 YARDS Full/Full chokes
    Top Barrel
    20" pattern / 83 (49%)
    20-30" pattern / 40
    30" pattern / 123 (73%)

Bottom Barrel
    20" pattern / 84 (50%)
    20-30"pattern / 40
    30"pattern / 124 (74%)

Good luck!

Pattern 1, 410 3 #6 lead Fed Hi-Power, Huglu bottom F 25yd.jpg
    Pattern 2, 410 3 #6 lead Fed Hi-Power, Huglu top F 25yd.jpg

10. Billy Bob

I patterned the .410 today with several tubes. No doubt in my mind it is a maximum 20-22 yard gun. To me (maybe not to others) patterns at 25 yards sucked and I won't be shooting much beyond 20. There was little difference between the full and modified tubes. None of the other tubes produced anything close to workable. When I get stuff unloaded I will try to take a couple pics. It will work at the same ranges my recurve did. Not ideal but 100% workable out to 20 yards.