410 Steel load perfomance

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Joe Hunter, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

After doing more pattern testing with steel .410 loads I still can't get decent patterns beyond 22 yards. I Found bismuth .410 ammo , 9/16oz in 4's and 6's. I am going to pattern the 6's The pellet count is 130+ compared to the 110 in the steel load and will hopefully have a bit better pattern. If it does well I will probably use it for the second and third shots. I don't take shots beyond 30 yards so I am hoping it improves the pattern enough to extend my range to 25-30 yards max.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Not saying what to do but IMO you may be better off with some type of HW shot, think the HW15 7's would do the job for you. Your not going to use that much shot in .410 loads anyway, you'll do better than 22 yards IMO.
    Here's the data sheet from BPI on HW shot, sure there's plenty of people out there that know about loading HW or TSS for the .410.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/00bsts.pdf

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. Billy Bob

I just can't see paying $2.99 per shell for tungsten ammo and as you know I'm not wanting to load my own. I'm not trying to push the range beyond 30 yards when I normally kill all of my birds at 20-25 yards and I'm empty before they get to 30. If the bismuth 6's get me to 30 yards I'm good to go. They should have plenty of penetration at the ranges I shoot if the patterns look good. I plan on putting some on paper and see how it looks before I buy cases. I may buy a box or 2 of TSS turkey loads with the 9's to use on geese over the decoys.

4. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

Rogers still has the Federal Heavyweight Turkey loads on sale for $14.99 per box with free shipping for anything over $100.00.

You can buy 7 boxes of 10 ga 3-1/2" 2 oz Heavyweight #7 shot loads for $104.93 and get the free shipping.

So it would cost 75 cents per shell to reload 1/2 oz FHW #7 shot 410 loads just for the shot. There is right at 109 FHW #7 pellets in 1/2 oz.

If you don't reload the 9/16 oz loads of #6 bismuth looks pretty good. If you do reload you could also get the Federal Heavyweight #6 shot from Rogers for shooting geese.

From KPY
    1400 fps 3/8 oz of steel #6 shot has about 117 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 16.1 yards.
    1300 fps 9/16 oz of Bismuth #4 shot has about 86 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 49.7 yards.
    1300 fps 9/16 oz of Bismuth #6 shot has about 143 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 30.9 yards.
    1200 fps 1/2 oz of FHW #7 shot has about 109 pellets and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 71.1yards.

410 goose load
    1200 fps 1/2 oz of FHW #6 shot has about 103 pellets and gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 48.5 yards.

5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

^^^ What Bob stated, I'd say 75 to 80 cents a shell isn't to shabby for the increased performance you'll get.
    Totally understand where your coming from on not wanting to load your own, however in todays world looking for exactly what you want in a load just may not happen. Special situations call for different methods of solving them, ammo companies aren't going to make loads for every persons needs, so you may have to do it yourself or live with a lot less than what you can get performance wise.
    Didn't mean to be so direct at all with that, but the way it is unfortunately.

6. Billy Bob

This is the only part that is relevant to my situation.

I'm getting the idea that people don't comprehend how close I shoot my birds or they just can't believe it. 40+ is 100% meaningless to me even when I was shooting a 12 gauge and 35 yards shots are rare. When I bow hunted for ducks I kept the shots under 20 yards and shot at birds that had landed in the decoys.

goosepit likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

I understand what you're saying. It's all valid points. I am just thinking that the bismuth is a factory option that should work at the short ranges I kill my birds. It's worth trying because I'm not looking for more than 30 yards.

8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

From what Bob posted up from KPY you should get by with Bismuth at the ranges you intend to shoot. My thing is I'm always thinking from a make my own standpoint and with the HW options availble today the way I would go.
    I know one thing once you get that .410 dialed in they are a blast to shoot, wish I never sold off my .410 1100 years ago, but a guy I new wanted it real bad and I let it go like an idiot.

9. Billy Bob

That little gun shoots real good. I was out doing some patterning and just for fun threw a piece of wood and took a shot without even getting my cheek on the stock and smashed it. A friend and I burned 2 boxes doing that and I was shocked how well its shoots and how quick it is being a heavier gun. I was able to hit things multiple times before they hit the ground. The greenwings are in trouble! :l Small game seasons open Sept 1 here, rabbit, grouse, dove. You have no idea how excited I am for season to start being that I found a gun I can still shoot.

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member