410 Steel load perfomance

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Joe Hunter, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Remember increased payload usually means decreased velocity in most loadings that use similar components or load recipes. Roughly, very roughly, the increased weight like around 9/16 or 11/16 for example would bring velocities down around 100 -150 fps to keep things within safe working pressures. Still not to shabby for a .410 load.
    Have to go crash now meds are kicking in, this getting old crap stinks...:l

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Steel 6s, 30 yard crow, no problem.

47B34A0E-6243-41D7-A009-C5FBE7725C47.jpeg

3. goosepit

goosepit Refuge Member

A guy can and hunted with us for few days brought 7 8 8.5 steel loads in 28 ga. I thought what heck this is going ro bee interesting. Well after first day my thinking changed he killed Honkers and big to small ducks all under 35 yards range we shoot all of birds that decoys into us .

He had no problems at all and said he been doing or for over 15 years this was roughly 8 years or so ago
    Six steel in 410 works perty darn good so does six bismuth even 7 bismuth ...

Good luck this fall using 410

4. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

So some guy had this miracle steel 23 years ago? Wonder why they never sold that stuff around here?

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Because guys are still hung up about the lead ban 30 years later and will never get over it and accept steel.

6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

What is a 7 8 8.5 steel load in a 28 ga? What was the shot charge weight and the size of the steel shot in the 28 ga shell?

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

To say I wanted some clarification too would be an understatement since I shoot a lot of 28 gauge reloads in both lead and steel.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I shot some paper with hevi-bismuth today and got what I think are surprising pattern results. Shooting the Remchoke full with 3" 9/16oz 6's at 30 yards I got 3 consecutive patterns in a 24" circle that appeared to have no fliers. I did not cut open a shell and count the pellets so I can't 100% confirm no fliers but I did not see any on the paper. The patterns are IMO duck killers at 30 yards. A couple weeks from now I will know for sure if they are. :pra

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Good Luck , you need a Break for success ! I know what my 28 does with 3/4 oz payload , you should be fine with 9/16 and a head / eyeball shot !
    Post some pic's of those blinded birds......Hehee

10. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

How was the recoil on you, you may have picked the right gun after all !!